Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-planning the purchase of my NuCanoe (will continue this thread once I buy one)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre-planning the purchase of my NuCanoe (will continue this thread once I buy one)

I think I've figured-out my Stick-Steer cable routing, and thought I'd post for anyone looking to do the same, or considering it (and wants to be the test-pilot). Input is appreciated, as long as it's not "just buy a boat" or "over-engineering" BS, keep it to yourself if that's all you've got to add. Constructive criticism is fine, as long as there's more to it than I just mentioned. I think if I can convert a bus to live-in, I can handle rigging a Kayak to suit my wants and needs.

I'm going this route as opposed to foot-pedal steering because I want freedom with my feet so I'm not required to keep my legs in the same position to steer the NC. The open interior is just one of the reasons I'd chosen the NC and want to take full advantage of it. The cable (closest to the bow) will be attached on either sides, and is what will pull on the steering-arm (which I'll make and add to the TM shaft) to turn the motor.

Here's the initial rough drawing, and pretty much the plan I'll use, but may configure it a little differently than shown. Where the cable passes the TM, and the green line representing the cable is "broken", that just means it continues in a solid-run, I just broke it to make it easier to understand.

I may even try (once I actually have a NuCanoe) to run the cables inside the hull through sections of Stainless Automotive Brake Line Tubing, but if I'm not able to, I can do the same along the side in the interior. That would require the cabling to stay in the hull, which doesn't amount to any weight to speak of, and could still be unclipped from the motor when it came time to remove it, and the bracket the pulleys were mounted to.

I may add a spring (like used on the chain safety on a storm door) on each side of the TM just for cable tension, where the cable ends attach (where I'm just showing 1-in the drawing). That said, I know the width of the stern of the NC may not be wide-enough, so all that's just something I'll have to deal with when the time comes (and may just "splice" one in-line with the cable). I can even make a plate to mount the pulleys to, which sets on the transom of the NC, and the TM bracket slips down over it and holds it in place once the TM is tightened in place. This could allow for easy removal for stowing/transport. Ditto on the steer-stick, quick-release, thumb screws, whatever, cables, brackets, all come off easily, and cable ends just clip to the TM steering arm/bracket.

A 2nd option I'd considered, using a slide knob instead of a stick. I'd probably go with whichever gave me the tightest ratio (least hand movement to most motor steer possible), though could probably tweak that some with pulleys, etc.

Whatever I decide for steering, the speed controls will be mounted right along with it for total 1-handed control. There will be some fine-tuning needed to the drawing no-doubt, but it gives the general idea.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Slide steering would be less complicated IMHO, but, the pilot has the final say. Bet you were a hoot to work with on the skoolie. I've got a headache already.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I can't wait to see this. I know it's gonna be slick.
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Frontier 12?

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to check out the Hobie kayaks board, particular the Pro Angler kayak section. I have seen lots of threads on there with people adding trolling motor steering and speed controls. Most of the ones that I have seen were internally routed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredRR View Post
    Slide steering would be less complicated IMHO, but, the pilot has the final say. Bet you were a hoot to work with on the skoolie. I've got a headache already.
    I'm probably going to have to just rig the cable and pulleys, and see which I think would work best before making/mounting it. Difficult to make any decisions without having it in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by NYHellbender View Post
    Man, I can't wait to see this. I know it's gonna be slick.
    lol, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Ghosts View Post
    Frontier 12?
    Yep. I was going to to the Basic route, and make my own "Freedom Track", until I noticed there's 125 pound capacity difference between the Basic and Frontier Models. i've sent an email to Blake at NuCanoe asking what the difference is between the hulls that offers an additional 125 pounds. I also didn't want to pay for seats I wouldn't be using, or have to fool with selling them. But, the wider floor will just be an additional bonus. What the heck, pay once cry once, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    You might want to check out the Hobie kayaks board, particular the Pro Angler kayak section. I have seen lots of threads on there with people adding trolling motor steering and speed controls. Most of the ones that I have seen were internally routed.
    I have some, but if it's the same Model I'd seen, they have molded-in spots that are flat on the face, and appear they were molded-in for rudder cable installation. Since I'm hoping to set just forward of center (actually as far forward as possible, while being able to fully extend my legs), and given it's only 12' total, there probably wouldn't be much over 5' of exposed cable, but at the same time 5' may not be hard to conceal either. I guess that'll just be another wait and see things.

I've got a rough drawing for the cart, which I might make the front caster wheel/pull handle removable and interchangeable with a hitch ball coupling. I might also be able to get my hands some of this aluminum T-Bolt extrusion when I get back home that I might build the trailer/cart out of. I watched the NuCanoe video of their trailer ($1,000), and looks to be constructed of the same type extrusion. They claimed theirs had a 200 pound capacity. Odds are mine would see very little road use.

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  118.2 KB
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

On a whim I looked at Jet Ski trailers, saw this on Craigslist for $250 (and probably could have bought cheaper), so I'll be looking for something similar before going through the trouble of building once I reach that point. Wouldn't take much for this one to be perfect for what I'd need.

Name:  bigfoot trailer.jpg
Views: 2597
Size:  87.8 KB
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Well, depending on the color I choose, I've already got the "Badges" (Thanks to G and the MS guys) to put on it when the time comes, then the others can be used in other places.

RRR- Just wanted to post these quotes for you, even though I know you don't have the intent to purchase one, you did express a bit of interest in them, plus it's info for anyone else who might be (interested). These came from other fishing forums, so I'm not posting links to them (per rules).

So after spending a LOT of time on my NuCanoe Frontier 12 recently I wanted to give an update. I just can't describe how much I love this boat. I'm having a ball with it. Its an awesome fishing platform. I love how unconstrained I am on the water. I just move around freely. If I want something out of my crate... I just spin my seat around. I can fish 360 degrees with the swivel seat and there is so much storage for my plano boxes, cooler and just about anything else I want to bring. The stability is not hype. I've stood on the tip of the bow without falling in! I have been catching a ton of bass from it and got to take it out for flounder recently. It was great because when I would get a good drift going I would just swivel in the right direction and bounce my bucktail along. I've added a dash, several rod holders, an anchor trolley and a fishfinder. I know its a strange new design and but I'm telling you if you try it you will love it. Some of the best money I've ever spent. Downsides are the weight and the speed. I bought the wheels which just click into place on the stern and that makes moving it around nice and easy and while it is slow I find it really tracks well and everything else more than makes up for it. NuCanoe took notice of my enthusiasm and the folks at West Creek Kayak and Canoe encouraged me to apply for Team NuCanoe as each dealer can have one person on the team. I'm now a proud member of Team NuCanoe. I got to play with it in a nonfishing situation yesterday. Got to take my nieces out for a ride on the Northeast River and spent a lot of time just stand up paddling around. No problem stand up paddling even with all the boat wakes. Went back in, wife got in the boat with me, anchored up and watched the fireworks in Northeast MD. Got to do some swimming off it and climbing back in was no problem at all. Give it a try if you get a chance! Its a lot of fun!
    Great to hear from you and I'm glad you are interested in the NuCanoe.

I always get a good laugh when people that have never been in a NuCanoe speak with authority. If you have a Redfish 12 and can keep up with people in your group then the NuCanoe will be no different. As a matter of fact it is probably slightly faster than a Redfish and it has much more interior room. As far as weight goes it is a little heavy but you get use to it. Depending on how much you weigh and the amount of gear you load it down with it will paddle in 2-4" of water. It will actually draft more shallow than a Tarpon 120 and probably moe shallow than a Redfish. Push poles work great with a NuCanoe and they are made for a trolling motor also. If you are fishing 4-5 miles from put in spot a Trolling motor will have you fishing an hour or more before your buddies. Personally I paddle everywhere I go. The NuCanoe is very stable, has lots of room and is perfect if you like to stand to fish. I should have a 10' NuCanoe in the next week or so. They will weigh around 65 lbs.....the trade off with these is that they are a bit slower than the 12' boats. I fish in FL all the time and unless we have a very long paddle I can keep up with any 12' boat on the market.

It's like any other kayak in the wind. This is the boat if you want a stable kayak. There is nothing like kayak fishing....it is just a blast....but many people never do it because of the stability issue.
    I highlighted part below because I'm exactly the same way, but really don't consider myself a "Kayaker". I don't go out to just paddle, if I'm in the Kayak, it's strictly to fish.

Just purchased a 12' Nucanoe and had it out fishing 5 times in the last two weeks. I'm 6'2" and about 250 w/o gear. I classify myself as a fisherman first and kayaker second so the "fishablility" of a yak gets first priority for me.I am most familiar to fishing the last 4 years from the T160i,Ride,X-Factor and OKP13 so my perspective comes in regards to my experiences fishing from the these.
    I'm REALLY impressed with this boat. I have push poled, paddled with double(260cm)paddle, single bent shaft canoe as well as trolling motor. I installed a swivel seat midships but have been reluctant to put any more hardware on it. My boat weighs 80lbs. on my deer scale(wihich is 6lbs. lighter than my XFactor with all it's hatches).
    I find it tracks well and paddles upstream against current vey well.(I think the 42" width is deceptive when it comes to performance as the multiple hard chines permit you to actually paddle 32-36" at normal loads.) It really surprised me in this regard. Paddling effort is so subjective but in relation to the above with the exception of the T160i (which to me is not an ideal fishing kayak)I don't notice much difference. My 30lb. trolling with full gear will move it along at 4.5-5 mph (GPS) all day long with my Optima deep cycle. It is the shallowest drafting kayak I have ever used and is extremely maneuverable in the marsh lakes and bayous I fish.
    I use a trailer or my TitanP/U for transport and a dolly if I'm very far from the water. The 80lbs. doesn't bother me and seems to give it stability and control in the wind and rough water. I have a baterry powered portable Attwood bilge pump in it but last week's 5 mile run through a thunderstorm and high winds resulted in only marginal water in the boat(Less than I have experienced in scupper plugged SOTs in similar conditions) All and all a very well designed, well made, open designed craft with surprising performance and the best "fishability" of any paddle craft which which I have had experience.
    Apple Pie ProStaff
    Likes Eaglehorse LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it seems I may be reconsidering my NuCanoe purchase. It has nothing to do with the NC itself, but lack of customer service (thought I guess I'm not considered an actual "Customer" yet, since I've not yet laid-down the cold hard cash).

I'd asked a question directly on NuCanoes site, and was suggested to email them, which I'd done this past weekend. No reply on either as of yet, nothing. I even told them last night if I was so insignificant to them that they couldn't take a minute to answer a simple question, I guess I would reconsider what I planned to purchase.

Stuff like this doesn't set well with me, and I'm certainly not going to beg ANY company to take my money. There's way too any others out there who will take the time to earn it instead of setting on their duff with their hands in their pockets.

I'm already exploring other options, mostly Canoes. I've seen many that weigh the same and have a higher load capacity. Some have square sterns (for TM mount), some don't. Either way I could still rig it the way I want, so it's no skin off my nose if I don't buy a NuCanoe. and anyone I see considering one in the future will hear how they don't seem to be concerned with those who want a question answered prior to buying. I'll end-up with something that will be more comfortable for me either way, and if it takes an extra $100 and couple days tinkering, so be it.

So NuCanoe on you! After another day or so I'll rid my "list" of you, and NEVER consider the purchase of one of your products the remainder of my life.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

have you tried calling them?

Contact Info:
    Phone: 888.226.6310 or 360.543.9019
    Fax: 360.483.5613
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Address:
    NuCanoe, Inc.
    817 Harris Ave
    Bellingham, WA 98225

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast