PDA

View Full Version : Highland Park Fish Camp in Deland, FL

Fly4panfish
12-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Highland Park fishcamp is a great place I discovered 5 or 6 years ago. They have some small cabins for rent there along with hookups for RV's. Theres a couple of hotels within 5 minutes of there too. It's located on the National Wildlife refuge and is seldom crowded. The best time for crappie fishin is when they come into the shallows on the Dead River around Jan-Feb time frame. Using a small bait casting rod with a Zebco pushbutton reel and with a jig under a float is a fun way to catch fish. To me trolling with 8 poles off the bow of the boat isnt really fishing. Just my two cents.

65pontiac
12-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Highland Park fishcamp is a great place I discovered 5 or 6 years ago. They have some small cabins for rent there along with hookups for RV's. Theres a couple of hotels within 5 minutes of there too. It's located on the National Wildlife refuge and is seldom crowded. The best time for crappie fishin is when they come into the shallows on the Dead River around Jan-Feb time frame. Using a small bait casting rod with a Zebco pushbutton reel and with a jig under a float is a fun way to catch fish. To me trolling with 8 poles off the bow of the boat isnt really fishing. Just my two cents.

Your right. It's better to use 8 or more off the back and sides. :twocents

Fly4panfish
12-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Everybody has their favorite way of catching them. I prefer by flyrod myself. Thank goodness there are daily bag limits otherwise there are people out there who would keep every crappie they catch no matter what the size.

65pontiac
12-27-2012, 04:42 PM
and I wish they would put a 12 inch limit thru out the state.

huntinslabs
12-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Have they fixed the ramp any? Last time I was there it was in pretty sad shape.

huntinslabs
01-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Here is a pretty good write up on it
Brothers Ron and Rick Rawlins have operated Highland Park Fish Camp in DeLand since 1970 when their father died. Today, it's one of those treasured pieces of 'old Florida.' | News-JournalOnline.com (http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20121230/SPORTS/121239994/1228?Title=Highland-Park-is-more-than-a-fish-camp)

and a video
Highland Park Fish Camp - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBMcSrlPPqo)

Fly4panfish
01-05-2013, 10:26 AM
I dont think anything has been done to the ramps. There used to a guy named James who worked there and was a pretty good crappie guide but he left to find a better job.