Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Plastic vs Tied Jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plastic vs Tied Jigs?

I used to be a very avid fly fishermen and have tied a ton of flies for trout fishing but I lost all of my fly tackle in a fire two falls ago and never got back in to it. I've still got all of my tying stuff however and I see that a lot of guys recommend tied jigs over plastic. Do you think it's all about the color combos to crappie or do you think material matters as well? I've always just used plastic tubes and grubs for crappie in the past.

I'm sure cost wise I'd save a lot tying my own. That was the whole reason I got in to when I trout fished. I could buy $10 worth of materials and tie up hundreds of flies when the fly shops would charge a buck a piece for the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion both soft plastics as well as hand ties have a place. In the late fall until early spring I like a tied jig, mostly kip tails in the winter when the waters cold. Summer time a baby shad or slab buster is hard to beat. If your a tackle hoarder like myself the answer is simple, BOTH!!! Also, not sure how long it's been since you bought materials, but $10 doesn't to far anymore...

Post Thanks / Like

I would just need a few cards of chenille and a few things of powder paint (orange, chart, pink) and some jigheads. I've got white, chartreuse, and pink marabou for tails already. I'd be able to tie up a bunch of my favorite color combos to try anyways for maybe $30-40 in supplies. I'm just going to tie the typical chenille body and marabou tail versions.

It will give me something to do indoors when the weather gets cruddy one of these days this winter. If they don't work well I guess it ain't the worst thing I've spent money on lol.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They will work for you. Hard to beat a marabou hand tie. I do like the kip tail in colder months. You can get several jigs out of one tail and for $2.50 a piece it makes for some cheap jigs.