Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Floating Jig Head question

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Floating Jig Head question

How many of you use a floating jig head and soft plastic lure fished on a Carolina rig setup for deep water crappie?
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Works great for Walleye but most of the time its too deep for crappie.......if you get below the crappie its not good because crappie tend to feed up, not down. Just keep your eye on your fish finder and run your jigs and baits a little above the crappie.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Works great for Walleye but most of the time its too deep for crappie.......if you get below the crappie its not good because crappie tend to feed up, not down. Just keep your eye on your fish finder and run your jigs and baits a little above the crappie.
    Hey ship, I use them in the spring for Walleyes. A sinker about 18' above a floater w/ a minnow then drift slow. Northland makes a Gum Drop Jig that works really good. Not much help for your Crappie though..

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

IMHO ....
    The biggest downside to floating jigheads ... is that the hook points DOWN. This creates a better chance for the hook to snag on something ... and it also hooks the fish in the bottom of the mouth, where there's more chance of tearing a hole in the thin membrane. (unless, of course, you're lucky enough to hook them in the tongue ... which will bring them in, but be a bit of a tussle to get the hook out )

.. cp

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just curious. I have heard of a few people doing it, but I never did it myself. I have used a drop shot rig for crappie and my double jig rig on a slip float set up. I guess if it ain't broke...don't fix it. Thanks.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that you have a boat Ship.....your best rig is going to be a 12 or a 14 ft. crappie pole rigged Capps and Coleman style.
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I use them on crappie live bait rigs with minnows. Only down side I had was you can usually catch 2 or 3 fish, then the jig head comes loose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Now that you have a boat Ship.....your best rig is going to be a 12 or a 14 ft. crappie pole rigged Capps and Coleman style.
    I have two plies rigged like that David.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    I have two plies rigged like that David.
    Get two more and then get a Hi-Tek rod holder set up and you can fish four poles off the front of your boat and spider rig with the best of them. I am running 8 on the front of mine now if somebody is with me and if we have a third person onboard I have the back set up to run 4 more. Check the rod holders out here.....Home
    PICO Lures Field Rep