Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon boats?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pontoon boats?

How easy/hard is it to transport, launch and retrieve a pontoon boat?? Do they come with live wells and trolling motors?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    How easy/hard is it to transport, launch and retrieve a pontoon boat?? Do they come with live wells and trolling motors?
    they are wind catchers. Yes they come with live wells and trolling motors.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

I own a pontoon boat and I love it. I can maneuver it as well as my Bass Tracker in open water. I have a trolling motor on it and an electric anchor. I also have the whole middle of it completely enclosed. You can put as many rod holders, front, sides, rear as you want to. Naturally it will catch more wind than a fishing boat, but I have a trolling motor on mine with enough thrust to handle high winds ok. It came from the factory with a live well. As far as towing, it tows great and believe it or not it launches and loads just as easy as my Bass Tracker. The weather is no factor with this rig, because any one will tell you the worst the weather, the better the fishing. (Sometimes). Ha LOL. I'll try to get a picture and post it . You will like your pontoon boat.

R & R
    "Just one more drop of my Jig"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Try one first if you can

You can get them decked out with just about everything including a porta-potty and grill.
    We rented one, thinking it would be the ideal boat for us and didn't like it, mainly because we both like to cast and retrieve and the railing gets in the way of that (especially for me since I'm only 4'10".) We think one would be great for night fishing and catfishing, but probably not for the kind of panfishing WE do.
    Depends on the person's style of fishing and the kind of lake you fish. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thumbs up for pontoons

I'm new here but I couldn't resist this...
    I have a 2001 model FCXL220 SWEETWATER [Godfrey Marine] and it has been really good for me. It came with 2 swivel seats both forward and aft, a bench "L" seat and a live well.
    I removed the swivel seats [all 4] and use the live well for extra storage. I have a 50 gal "Super Bait Tank II" just behind the Catiains Chair, a privacy room[porta potty and 4 marine batteries in it] 18 Driftmaster rod holders a Minn Kota 65ap mounted on the bow, a Honda 2000w generator on a platform outside and on the stern of the boat. and on and on.

I took my time and rigged it the way that I wanted. It took me a year to figure out just how I wanted my setup to be.

I mainly fish for Stripers at Lake Murray and Lake Hartwell, and can easily change to CRAPPIE. All that I need to do is change rods and reels/ it's really that simple. The big bait tank can serve as a livewell for crappie.
    It unloads & loads easy. It pulls easy. I have 2-3 54 inch drift socks for the wind.
    A PONTOON BOAT IS VERY MUCH UNDERRATED FOR FISHING. AFTER ALL I AM ON THE LAKE TO RELAX AND NOT IN A HURRY TO GET ANYWHERE FAST.

OH, I DIDN'T mention that 4-5 can take a nap, Yes I carry sleeping bags too.
    Larry Thompson
    aka Squall Line
    Politicians should be required to wear their corporate sponsors uniform like NASCAR !

Post Thanks / Like

Default advantages and dis advantages

towing,launching, and loading, all depends on the trailer - with the new trailers they have today it is much easier, I don't know that I agree it is as easy as loading a bass boat but it is easier than it use to be - any boat will give you some problems in windy conditions - a pontoon will be harder to maneuver - if you have the right seating arrangement you can cast or use rod holders - to cast you need the fishing chairs out front on pedestals
    they have great room and are a lot of fun but for fishing I prefer a center console - others like bass boats - if you are planning on investing in a boat I would suggest trying to rent or go with people with deffernt style boats - whatever kind you get I highly reccomend a 4 stroke engine
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    towing,launching, and loading, all depends on the trailer - with the new trailers they have today it is much easier, I don't know that I agree it is as easy as loading a bass boat but it is easier than it use to be - any boat will give you some problems in windy conditions - a pontoon will be harder to maneuver - if you have the right seating arrangement you can cast or use rod holders - to cast you need the fishing chairs out front on pedestals
    they have great room and are a lot of fun but for fishing I prefer a center console - others like bass boats - if you are planning on investing in a boat I would suggest trying to rent or go with people with deffernt style boats - whatever kind you get I highly reccomend a 4 stroke engine
    crap-king
    Has as many fish got onboard that fine center console that the wife is paying for as that old beat up jonboat of mine.LOL
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Squall Line, it sound like you have a heck of a rig there.
    Crap-King, what do you mean harder to maneuver? As in it takes 40 acres to turn the rig around? I fish mostly rivers and don't always have a lot of room.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pontoon Boats

Welcome to the board Larry:

Great Post. Cane Pole needs to get in her too as I know he has a pontoon boat that he used on West Sandy and Big Sandy at KY Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Line
    I'm new here but I couldn't resist this...
    I have a 2001 model FCXL220 SWEETWATER [Godfrey Marine] and it has been really good for me. It came with 2 swivel seats both forward and aft, a bench "L" seat and a live well.
    I removed the swivel seats [all 4] and use the live well for extra storage. I have a 50 gal "Super Bait Tank II" just behind the Catiains Chair, a privacy room[porta potty and 4 marine batteries in it] 18 Driftmaster rod holders a Minn Kota 65ap mounted on the bow, a Honda 2000w generator on a platform outside and on the stern of the boat. and on and on.

I took my time and rigged it the way that I wanted. It took me a year to figure out just how I wanted my setup to be.

I mainly fish for Stripers at Lake Murray and Lake Hartwell, and can easily change to CRAPPIE. All that I need to do is change rods and reels/ it's really that simple. The big bait tank can serve as a livewell for crappie.
    It unloads & loads easy. It pulls easy. I have 2-3 54 inch drift socks for the wind.
    A PONTOON BOAT IS VERY MUCH UNDERRATED FOR FISHING. AFTER ALL I AM ON THE LAKE TO RELAX AND NOT IN A HURRY TO GET ANYWHERE FAST.

OH, I DIDN'T mention that 4-5 can take a nap, Yes I carry sleeping bags too.
    Larry Thompson
    aka Squall Line
    Regards,

Moose1am

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I like my pontoon

It stays in the water most of the year. I only pull it out Jan and Feb to clean it up. What a mess. I have a live well. I use it for storage. Dirt dobbers keep plumbing clogged up. Barnicles corrode the pump, etc. I use 5 gallon buckets for my live wells. Also use a 5 gallon bucket (now with a toilet seat) as a porta potty. All airated by dipping up more water. I have a big trolling motor, but if wind gets over 20 knots, you go with the wind. I don't use wind socks, I use 5 gallon buckets. Same result and a **** of a lot cheaper. It takes the rough water very good. It is a simple set up. The more **** you got on these boats, the more **** is going to break. I take it into the thick of things. I don't worry about scratches and dents. Dents are a badge of courage. lol. I like the roominess. I can get up and walk around without feeling like I might fall out and go for a swim. All in all, it is a pracital family boat, especially for pan fishing families. Honey loves it.

I have a Jon boat which I use in the winter, and a Bass boat which I seldom use. I like them too. Nothing fancy here either, just practical.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 12-01-2004 at 02:47 PM. Reason: language
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast