Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm a Newbie to Crappie Fishing and I've come for help

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm a Newbie to Crappie Fishing and I've come for help

So, I guess I'll start this off with an Introduction and a little about myself. I am a 46 year old Retired Veteran. I retired from the Army in 2006 from here at Fort Benning Georgia. Kids are grown and last year I purchased a 2012 Z7 Nitro which I had decked out with an iPilot Trolling Motor, Lowrance HDS systems for the front and console with the Structure Scan package. I used to be very involved in Bass Fishing Tournaments back in the 90's and wanted to get back into it, minus the Tournaments. So that's why I went all out on my Equipment and Tackle. I tend to go overboard with everything.

With that said...

On top of wanting to become a Crappie Fisherman, I also want to become an active member of this board. I really love how you guys help each other out.

One of the first thing I've noticed is the techniques have changed a lot since I last crappie fished. So basically it's been a good 30 years since I went fishing specifically for Crappie. I think I was like 16 or so.

Soooooooooo, I guess I'll start off by explaining how I envision myself fishing for Crappie and we can go from there. I would really like to get into Spider Rig fishing (See, I've read a little bit, hehe) and my buddy and myself are planning on building our own Spider Rig mounts. I have access to the Auto Craft shop on Fort Benning so I can use their Aluminum Welder and Tig Weld up some mounts.

Last weekend I purchased one of those Jimmy Houston Crappie Rods from Dicks Sporting good and put 4lb line on it. I was thinking of purchasing 3 more of them. Would that be a good choice?

So, I guess I'll end this post here and build on it as I get some comments or tips. Once again, I really appreciate your guys help on this and I'm thrilled to start learning the ropes on this!

Thanks a bunch
    Mumpy

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mumpy ... I'm going to mess up your parade when I say this, but .... I'm not so sure about your choice of rods & line size, if you're considering Spider Rigging.

First off, you want a rod that has a long handle, with enough length to set securely into your rod holders. You'll want them to be long enough to reach out well beyond the trolling motor, and capable of handling enough weight to keep the lines from coming back to the TM prop when moving along at speeds up to 2mph. That's generally a 10-12' rod, minimum. For the same price range ($30-50) you could probably get a better rod than the HT series (J. Houston sponsor). Check here : Rods ... and you'll see what I mean.

Secondly, I use 4lb test line for casting light jigs, shooting docks, and general open water techniques. For spider rigging, I'd suggest using 6-8lb test line, at the least. Lite wire Aberdeen hooks will allow you to pull the hook open, should it get snagged, and the heavier line will help keep you from breaking off as often.

I'm no expert on this stuff, far from it. In fact, I'm just getting into the Spider Rigging / multi-pole trolling & drifting techniques, myself. Coming from a long background of being a jig slinger, & using 4lb test mono ... I can safely say that's why I use weedless jigs 99.5% of the time, when casting jigs, or shooting docks. When I use 4# line for SR type techniques, I find myself breaking off a lot more often ... seeing as how I'm using a hook/sinker rig, and not the weedless jigs. So much so, in fact, that I'm going to change the lines to 6-8# on several outfits, formerly used for multi-purposes, and dedicate them to rod holder use techniques.

I'm sure you'll get lots more help, & opinions ... & some may say that I'm "full of it" and some agree with me But, take ALL advice given as trying to help, based on each individuals experiences. And just because you're a newbie, don't confine yourself to this forum when asking your questions or seeking advice. You're one of us, now ... so feel free to explore the site & use what you learn to make yourself a better angler.

Welcome to Crappie.com !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the reply and let me start by saying you’re not at all messing up my parade. The advice you gave is a huge help and exactly what I was wanting. With the Jimmy Houston Rod, that was a purchase I made last weekend just to get out there and start fishing. I spoke with my Financial Advisor last night over dinner (The Wife) and explained to her how I want to go all out on this type of fishing and got the approval to purchase what is needed. So if you’re telling me I need 4 Rods @ 12’ Long then by golly, I’m buying 4 Rods 12’ Long, hehe. I say 4 but realize I will eventually want 8 and that will be the point where my tendency to overdo everything kicks in and I’ll end up with about 16 – 20 of them! So for now, let’s just start with 4. Would you agree that These 4 will suffice? LMCR12 Medium/Crappie Spinning (Pinnacle) Also, how do you feel about getting these Reels for those rods? Masterpiece/Firecast Ultralite Reel

Thank you again for your help

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mumpy, I have no experience with either ... SO ... I'm neither recommending nor condemning them ... but, IMHO -- for ~ $30 per rod/reel outfit ... they would "suffice".

Again, I recommend that you post your intentions & questions concerning equipment, on the Main Crappie Fishing forum ... and you'll get a lot more opinions & info, there, than what I can provide. Believe me, them boys have NO problems spending someone else's money ... so bare that in mind when they start urging you to go "high end", from the get go !!

I used to Bass fish, and tournament fish ... so, when I switched back to primarily Crappie fishing, I stayed with the cast/crank mentality ... and just downsized my equipment. I still prefer to cast jigs, when that method works ... but, expanded my abilities by installing rod holders, so that I can make use of more than one rod at a time (when the situation calls for it). I don't know if I'm going to like it enough to use it ALL the time, so I'm not to the point of buying more outfits for Spider Rigging style methods ... but, use a collection of what I've already accumulated. I say all that, to say this ..... you don't yet know if Spider Rigging/drifting/trolling is going to be "all that". Starting out with low end equipment, until you decide if you like those methods, will suffice to get you introduced to them ... then you can decide whether or not you need to "upgrade".

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, sounds good, Could you do me a favor and move this Thread into the Main Crappie Forum so I don't have to retype everything?
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 12-15-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: done as requested

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. Lots of good ideas for you on this thread. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...beginners.html
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Mumpy,
    I am much in the same situation as you except I had zero previous experience fishing from a boat. What has worked well for me is reading this board, reading everything else on Crappie fishing I can get my hands on, fishing on my own 6 to 8 weeks then going out with a guide on the lake or lakes you want to fish.

I know it has been a big help to me, but a word of caution. Some guides maybe great fisherman, some not so good, while others may be a good fisherman and a good teacher. That is what I was looking for and was lucky to find!

Dan

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

West Ky sez "Hay Ya'll"...

The guys are already giving good advice about longer rods.... How long? ... That's really up to you ...

The longer rod length will accomplish several things when spider riggin...
    * keeping your lines out of the TM..as already mentioned
    * wider spread for more water coverage in 1 pass
    * baits will get to fish before boat does ...for less fish spooking
    * longer rods have longer rod handles for good fitting into rod holders

Now techniques and applications... Everyone will do things a little different...I would advise taking stock in all suggestions that interest you and experiment with all of them to find what brings success and confidence in your chosen style..

I spider rig contour lines...

Early in the year ... Before the water reaches 55 degrees...I'll be following creek channel ledge contour lines...
    When the water reaches 55 degrees.. I'll experiment with contour lines parallel with the bank...

I'll pick a depth I think the fish will be in and stay on that contour line for several hundred yards....(I'll stop and hover over any brush or structure I happen upon)...
    If I don't pick up any fish... I'll move the boat over 2ft deeper or shallower... And either backtrack my previous pass or continue on down the new contour line...

Once I find what depth the fish seem to be targeting... I'll stay on that contour line until the fish quit biting or until I want to move to a different area and start all over...

Spider riggin contour lines gives the benefit of setting the baits on the shallow side of the boat to a certain depth... And setting the baits on the deeper side of the boat to a certain depth and covering several hundred yards of water without constantly adjusting bait depths...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

First off, Thank you your years of service, and welcome from Middle Tennessee. I was in your shoes in 12/07 when I came here to CDC and found a home myself. I had moved here from Florida and couldn't catch a cold. Conditions were so different I had to buy my fish at the store. I'll give you my input, as others have, and by taking a bit here and a bit there you'll find and develop your own style and become the teacher before you know it. Again, these are opinions.
    I don't care for the ultralite reels because of line memory. Small spools create a tight pigs tail looking affair that by nature absorbs some of the thump, or tic on lite days, that let you know what's going on. A 2000 series reel still has a coil but is much more relaxed and doesn't act nearly the same. I still have a UL in the boat, but it doesn't get much use.
    You'll find many different rods have such different personalities and the same action description. Don't get in a rush to get rigged up. Go to BPS and handle everything you can get your hands on. Spider rigging will lead to pushing cranks, and that will lead to longline trolling, and then trolling cranks, and so on. Some rods do well with double duty, others not. Be a shame to get set up with a mess of rods for the spider game that don't troll. You see my point. Be very careful about buying on line if you don't know the product because of these differences. You will want a 5 or 5 1/2 foot rod for shooting docks and tight quarters. I use 4lb on mine, along with the 6'6" light tip rod that I use for most casting. Very comfortable to cast a 1/32 jig for a good distance, and enough backbone in the middle of the rod to control a good fish, or surprise green fish.. I have 2 Shakespeare micro graphite in 7' lite action that do very well with 6lb for casting grabby stuff and float and jig, and they're $18 at Wally. I vertical jig deeper water(20 to 30') with 8' BnM bucks Graphite jig pole(BGJP) that balance very well and have a soft tip that with the braided line (10lb flouro leader 6') leave no question when the slightest tap happens. Also have 2- 9', 3- 10', and 5- 12' that I use for about everything else. Spider and longline trolling are OK with my long rods. Some techniques add from 1 to 6 ounces of lead to maintain depth at the speed the fish want and my rods won't stand that. By the end of an average day I will have 5 to 8 rods out of the rod locker, and that's without trolling. A rod that's on my want and wish list is a St Croix 66lf (6'6" light fast) paired with a 2000 series Phleuger President. Check one out when you go shop and you'll see what I mean about an all around rod. Not cheap but great piece of gear. I hope this helps you a bit in seeing how one of us operates, and others will chime in and give you theirs. I have 28 rods either in the boat or in their racks on the garage ceiling, and use em all sometime during the year. Very little Bass gear left.
    I'm partial to the Hi-Tek Rod holders. Very user friendly, made by a member here and a great warranty. If you don't buy those you should take a look at them for ideas. Great stuff. I know you said you would make your own, but check em out.
    Good luck in rigging out your ride, I know I had fun doing mine, and still tweaking it. No such thing as a dumb question here, you already know we help each other. Tight lines........Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

welcome from E TN and thanks for your years of service as well.

you better get that "approval" from the Financial Advisor in writing, and put it in a safe place.

some good advice given above, before you go "all out" on buying rods and gear, read up on SR here, lots of good info. The MS boards seem to have lots of resident "experts" on SR, just have to wade thru alot of BS as well to find the good info . But there are some experienced SR guys in other states as well. Read all you can and formulate a plan, it will give better results in a shorter time frame and less $$ spent as well. Take the best of what you read/learn and go from there. And, congrats on the new boat as well. Sounds like a nice one.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast