Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's the ice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How's the ice?

I gotta break the silence in here. It's been cold (somewhat, depending on which part of Nebraska your in). Anyone been out ice fishing or been checking the ice?

Post Thanks / Like

I try to check ice conditions daily for work and for fishing, but I don't know of much that is fishable. Maybe a few spots in the state, but wouldn't try them by tomm. or this weekend.
    I'll post if I stand on anything safe...
    "Indeed, the single biggest reason we're not catching fish spring, summer, winter, or fall is that there are no fish where we're fishing."

Gord Pyzer

Post Thanks / Like

Boy howdy did I love ice fishin', then came last year, just wiped out that savor. Spoiled me it did, just keep the boat loaded up and stroll along looking for biters. No longer packing or pulling a sled, ALWAYS with my auger in hand. Why? That in-hand has saved my life a couple times I'm sure. You see, the auger will bridge the gap on a break-in and those blades will dig in allowing you to pull yourself out. Those hand spikes, well once that ice cold water hits your wrists or neck, things don't seem to work as well and your thinking isn't quite as clear. Carry your auger, it can save your life, it saved mine a couple times.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't of anyone going ice fishing yet, but i was told most of the lakes in western Nebraska are about 90% frozen, still a few open spots. Not sure about the depth though. Lakes here are a little iced up, but not very much. It's probably more iced over at night than during the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Stopped by Walnut Creek today. I'd say 65% of the lake is frozen. Mostly on the east and south side. The water near the damn was frozen over too. The water on the west side where the fishing pier and boat loading were still open with no ice. Didn't really get a chance to see how thick the ice was.

Post Thanks / Like

North central NE sandhill lakes are almost capped over and a couple of them had 2.5" as of the 19th.
    "Indeed, the single biggest reason we're not catching fish spring, summer, winter, or fall is that there are no fish where we're fishing."

Gord Pyzer

Post Thanks / Like

5.5" + of ice on small lakes within 25 miles of GI. Heard reports of small lakes in the Kearney area, North Platte area, and Scottsbluff area are also safe. Reservoirs (Davis, Sherman, Calamus have 3.5" +, but be careful there are still open spots. Heading to KS or Southwest NE in the next few days and will give an ice report later.

Gord Pyzer

Post Thanks / Like

The lakes around Omaha are iced over with about 4-5 inches of ice now. It is now safe to venture out on the ice. I can imagine that there will be several of the die hards that have been out for awhile already. I use to go out when the ice got to 2-1/2 inches. In the Spring we use to use an extention ladder stretched out from the bank to solid ice to get in the last few days of ice fishing. I wish I could still be out there. Oh well Spring will get here sooner or later. Be safe out there. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Talked to a few guys walking around Cabelas today. Most say the ice is at least 6" thick throughout the lakes and the bite has been very good, the quality not so much. Most have been pulling up bluegills and crappies, an occasional bass or two, but they are no where near the limit or worth taking out. Heard a guy complaining about not catching any northerns out at Wanahoo. At least the ice is thick and spring is still a long way off, and it doesn't look like a big warm up is on the way any time soon. So enjoy the ice fishing folks.

Post Thanks / Like

Northern Kansas is a go!
    Be careful though, ice is running around 4" avg. with many open areas. With the recent snow on Mon. it's hard to read the ice.
    Swanson and South-West NE is also safe.
    Name:  IMG_20121229_170231_348-1.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  56.0 KB

Gord Pyzer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast