Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: handling bamboo alone

Post Thanks / Like

Default handling bamboo alone

I have access to pretty much all the bamboo I could want. The problem is, the stuff is about too much work for this guy to do alone. I tried making one cinder block with 4 stalks and quickrete and it was more than I could manage. I ended up getting it in the water, but I wont go that route again. I was thinking maybe using 2 stalks in say like butter bowls with quickrete or those little high sided aluminum casserole pans. Have any of you done something like this single handedly and what works best. Maybe drop about 4 of these in the same place close together.

Post Thanks / Like

Seeker...I had the same trouble as you did so I kinda downsized by laying crete blocks down on a piece of plywood or even plastic with the holes up, cut your boo to 7-8' lengths (makes it more managable) and in each hole put 3 to four pieces. I cut mine at the knuckle and leave 1 or 2 inches of the shoot next to it on for better grip in the cement (cut em off with some side cutters). Fill in around the stalks with cement and move each stalk a bit in the mix to help it settle around it. fill to the top of the hole. I can haul about 8 blocks in my 16' flatbottom. I drop my marker first where I want it and hit the gps then get my blocks up on the gunnels front to back drop them off as they line up front to back. ezpz

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I placed alot alone but it is easier with help. Try making boo piles using bucket lids . We cut holes to push boo through and tie or wire butts to spread. We add blocks at butt and mid point just when we drop over.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

show some pics nimrod.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Yea need a visualization of that one nimrod

2003 Xpress X17
    MinnKota V2 Powerdrive
    Humminbird 998c
    Cumberland Crappie Racks
    BnM PSTs

Post Thanks / Like

I make smaller piles using a plastic dishwashing tub as a mold for the concrete. Once the concrete sets up, I just pop it out of the mold. I lay the piles down on the deck of the boat for traveling to their destination. Once there, I use a 2"X 10" X 6' board to unload. Just set the pile on top of the board and lift it up...it slides right into the lake. I can take as many as 6 per trip.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

Post some pics please. I'm having a major brain fart.
    "my wife" crappie fishing is a jerk on one end waiting for a jerk on the other."

pullin they're heads up, ears and all

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

No photos but an old diagram I drew from an old post. I use a hole saw to cut out holes but leave one spot connected , helps hold boo.

Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minrbukit View Post
    Seeker...I had the same trouble as you did so I kinda downsized by laying crete blocks down on a piece of plywood or even plastic with the holes up, cut your boo to 7-8' lengths (makes it more managable) and in each hole put 3 to four pieces. I cut mine at the knuckle and leave 1 or 2 inches of the shoot next to it on for better grip in the cement (cut em off with some side cutters). Fill in around the stalks with cement and move each stalk a bit in the mix to help it settle around it. fill to the top of the hole. I can haul about 8 blocks in my 16' flatbottom. I drop my marker first where I want it and hit the gps then get my blocks up on the gunnels front to back drop them off as they line up front to back. ezpz
    We kinda go at it the same way. I have access to a lot of buckets, so we use buckets fill about 1/3 in cement. This get us about 3 buckets per 80# bag of sackrete. We cut bamboo into 6' - 7' pieces, and stick them in bucket, then fill the bucket 1/3 in cement. Usually use 5 - 6' - 7' pieces, along with 1 Boo top sticking straight up. We put out 3 buckets per location, this gives us about a 18' diameter.

Here is kinda what they look like when finished. We have found that it doesn't take dence structure to draw crappie. So these are loose enought to be able to fish in, and around them. We have had good luck with these.

keith

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I just need to use smaller weight but then the current where I fish would be a problem