Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your perfect knife blade size for filleting crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whats your perfect knife blade size for filleting crappie?

I'm always in the market for a good fillet knife and I was currious what your favorite knife and blade size is.

I've been using Rapala's 7"1/2 rubber handle and 6" birch handle for everything and I was thinking maybe a shorter blade for crappie.
    Feathers, Fins & Fur. catch it, kill it, fry it or grill it
    97 Nitro 185 Blu/Wht 120 Mec.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive allways used an electric fillet knife with a 7 "set of blades.If you ever have the chance to use a electric one give it a try.Its quick,you can do a skinless crappie fillet in 30 seconds
    HEY,,WATCH THAT YELLOW ROD

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 12" Rapala for all my crappie. Really, size does not matter. It is all in how you use your fillet knife.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Cutco Fisherman,s solution with an extendable blade, 6" to 9" . I find the 6"
    suitable for crappie, trout and striper. Very fond of this knife !

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

American Angler elec to fillet then 6 in to cut out ribs.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use electric and 7" rapala to do the ribs. I have the smaller Rapala and find it stiff and more difficult to use because of that. Use an electric for one limit and you'll never go back.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Go with America angler electric with the 7-9 inch blade range. Can fillet more than crappie with them. The electric knife American angler makes is probably about the most recommended one besides mister twister.

2003 Xpress X17
    MinnKota V2 Powerdrive
    Humminbird 998c
    Cumberland Crappie Racks
    BnM PSTs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by south65 View Post
    go with america angler electric with the 7-9 inch blade range. Can fillet more than crappie with them. The electric knife american angler makes is probably about the most recommended one besides mister twister.

2003 xpress x17
    minnkota v2 powerdrive
    humminbird 998c
    cumberland crappie racks
    bnm psts

this 100 %.

Post Thanks / Like

I use an American Angler electric for mine but the best filleter of fish I ever saw used two Rapala manual knifes. He had a 7 1/2 and a 4 inch knife and he used the smaller to fillet the meat off the rib cage, never saw that before, you could almost see thru it. Carol would love that chip of meat. Very, very little meat left after he put his two knives to a crappie or any fish. Beats anything I ever saw. Of course I was a lot quicker than he was but I do leave meat, wish I could take a vid of Perry cleaning fish, it was an education, sharp man, his were sharp. Wish I could do a sharping job like he could, he would hit the stone about every 3-4 fish. Never saw him clean a deer but I'm sure that was something to watch too. Wish I could find some short blades for my AA, by the way I like the old model better than the new model, maybe I got a sorry new model, it does feel better in the hand tho.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I see alot of folks are using electric, as was I until mine bit the dust. I found that I could fillet crappie almost as fast with a knife as I did with the electric.

I did replace the electric with a Mister Twister Piranha, but I find it alittle to large for crappie and I hate the short curly cord!

I was really wanting to know what you feel is the perfect blade size for cleaning crappie, I like the 6" over the 7 1/2 " but am wanting to try a 4 1/2 to 5" blade, but if the consensus is that those are too short I am going to start looking for a high quality 6".
    Feathers, Fins & Fur. catch it, kill it, fry it or grill it
    97 Nitro 185 Blu/Wht 120 Mec.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast