Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to restock my jighead supply but have a few questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need to restock my jighead supply but have a few questions

I've always just bought jigheads at Walmart or bait shops when I needed them but I want to start buying in bulk since I crappie fish more now than I ever have before and go through jigheads a lot faster. I had a few questions first before I order a bunch.

1) What size hook for 1/32, 1/16, and 1/8oz jig heads and do you prefer j-style or sickle style hooks?
    2) Where's the best place to order 100ct packs of prepainted jigheads? I am looking for white, chartreuse, and orange in particular.

I cast for crappie 90% of the time and use the 1/32 and 1/16 most of the time. Occasionally I vertical jig standing timber and then I will go with the 1/8oz head. I mainly use slab busters or tubes of comparable size.

Post Thanks / Like

I used sickle for the first time Sunday and like them way better than J. Everharts has some good bulk prices on unpaited with red sickle hooks.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the time I go to ebay to get my tackle. Some of the vendors will cut you a deal on a bulk buy and combined shipping. Some of these vendors are there in MO.
    I buy plain jigs and paint them myself. Some are painted with vinyl and others with nail polish. Sinful Colors has some good colors to choice from, but vary from store to store. Some look good on lead and some need a primer. Some need 2 or 3 coats. Vinyl dip or painting doesn't need to be done in the house. I find vinyl and nail polish as good as powder. I'm retired and don't care to watch tv, so I have plenty of time to do it as slow as I wish.
    The Sinful Colors I'm using are Cloud 9, Courtney Orange, Sugar Sugar, Black for eyes and clear for tying.
    The vinyl colors are Red, Orange and 2 shades of pink.

Post Thanks / Like

It's just a short jump to pouring your own. It's enjoyable, easy to do and save a ton of $. However there are a few guys on here that make and sell jig heads. Perhaps they will chime in but they may not be able to. Check the classified section on CDC and you'll be amazed what you find.

I typically use #2 for 1/8th #4 for 1/16th - although I often pour with larger and smaller hooks for different purposes. I've used all of them over the years - brands, styles, etc.... The sickle hooks are by far the best I've used, they are Matzou (spelling??).

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D
    Thanks Ralo79 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep Cane, Bolivar, Mo. a guy sells about any size you want, In fact I just looked and 100 pk. of 1/16 oz. minnow head were $10.50 with $2.80 for S&H..... Jamie sent me several sickle hook jigs, but for me I just didn't like them as well as the good old J hook..... as far as size I use 6 and 8 with the 1/16 oz and 4 and 2 with the 1/8 oz. and #2 with a 1/4 oz.......the guy from bolivar sells on ebay..... I can drive there when I need some...... drove down there to get the wife a toy dog, can dam sure drive down there to get a load of jig heads........
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Something else I do and most will say I am crazy, but If I was buying them bobby garlands for $3+ a dozen, I crazy glue mine to the jig head, and with 10# braid, I come home with the same jig I started with, only chewed up...... yeh if you want to change colors you need a few different colors already glued up, here on Truman about 4 colors will work anytime...... but I don't use garlands, I use homemade jigs given to me by cdc memebers...... Nice Guys..........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olesilverside View Post
    Something else I do and most will say I am crazy, but If I was buying them bobby garlands for $3+ a dozen, I crazy glue mine to the jig head, and with 10# braid, I come home with the same jig I started with, only chewed up...... yeh if you want to change colors you need a few different colors already glued up, here on Truman about 4 colors will work anytime...... but I don't use garlands, given to me by cdc memebers...... Nice Guys..........
    I use homemade jigs
    Nobody ever gives me any thing , except a bunch of crap on here. Can you believe that a nice guy like me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I did a deal with an ebay guy from IN. I got a good mix of different size hooks with what weight heads I wanted. 1K mix with shipping for $68. He has gone up in price some since that sale, but sometimes better than others. All were roundhead with barb. 1/16 / #4, 1/16 / #2, 1/16 / #1, 1/8 / #4, 1/8 / #2, 1/8 / #1, 1/8 / 2/0, 1/4 / #2, 1/4 / #1, 1/4 / 2/0, 1/4 / 3/0, 1/4 / 4/0.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

$68 was cheap for sure. Lead has went up and also hooks. Seems everyone had to increase there prices a while back. Monty when you need jigs next time let me know. I am a little closer than Bolivar. May even meet you at McDonalds to drop them off.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jared, I don't use near as many as I used to now that I switched to braid..........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast