Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: marking brush piles

Post Thanks / Like

Default marking brush piles

with gps fish finders not being dead on or not having a gps finder how do you all mark piles you drop ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birddog one View Post
    with gps fish finders not being dead on or not having a gps finder how do you all mark piles you drop ?
    --
    Not sure if this will make sense to you..or anybody else, I don't drop brush piles but I guess locating bottom cover that you have found and wish to return to would be the same kinda thing, what I do is make a note of the depth if the cover in located on a changing depth and try and locate a couple of land marks that line up with each other to get you in the right location and the depth to find the cover... If the bottom is a constant depth then I try to find two landmarks that line up and another two landmarks 90 degrees from the first two, if you are a long piece from the shoreline it is tough to locate land marks... This works for me but not sure I explained it so anybody can understand it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HLLeonard View Post
    --
    Not sure if this will make sense to you..or anybody else, I don't drop brush piles but I guess locating bottom cover that you have found and wish to return to would be the same kinda thing, what I do is make a note of the depth if the cover in located on a changing depth and try and locate a couple of land marks that line up with each other to get you in the right location and the depth to find the cover... If the bottom is a constant depth then I try to find two landmarks that line up and another two landmarks 90 degrees from the first two, if you are a long piece from the shoreline it is tough to locate land marks... This works for me but not sure I explained it so anybody can understand it.
    Triangulation, which was the method of returning to a known structure before we had gps units. Also, I haven't noticed that the gps coordinates on my Lowrance stuff is that far off, if I move over a waypoint I normally see the object on the display.
    -LP

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay / Yamaha 150 VMax
    Lowrance HDS-8, 7, & 5 with LSS-1

Post Thanks / Like

I use HLLeonards method but after a few lost piles I began making crude maps and notes to aid my memory. If I know I'm coming back the next day I drop a line with an old bobber tied to it. If some one sees the bobber there already fishing that spot anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

i use, triangulation, in conjuction with a google earth print out. you can mark piles and land marks on the map as you drop them.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the waypoint on my GPS and start watching the sonar. I'll generally drop a marker about 20ft away and then use that as a visual reference to fish the spot.

Post Thanks / Like

havent had a prob with a gps/fish finder combo not being on target but I have a small handheld that will get you close but not dead on. I started with a cheap Eagle gps/fishfinder combo and it is dead on for less than 200 bucks, think around 150. Make a GPS/fishfinder combo your next fishing tool, best money you can spend in my book.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

GPSs, fish finder, waypoints, google earth how in the heck did our 4 farther catch fish. I think they fished a lot like me with not catching much. My grandpa like fishing with caps with 14 kids at home. He all was said pole was to slow to feed his family.

Post Thanks / Like

Rees sir do you think your handheld is closer than your fish finder/gps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birddog one View Post
    Rees sir do you think your handheld is closer than your fish finder/gps
    I do not, the smaller cheaper ones arent near as close as the cheaper FF/GPS combos. The elcheapo I have on my console rite now due to lack of room because I put the windsheilds back on for the winter is dead on and the cheaper handheld I have is off by as much as 20 feet sometimes. On land you can live with that but looking for submerged stuff it can be a pain.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast