Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Made Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Home Made Tackle

ok so i found this video on you tube about making stick bobbers out of straws. i made one(havent tested it yet) and turned it into a slip bobber.

i plan to make more if it works but id like some opinions on making home made tackle like bobbers and other things to save some money or because of being on a very tight budget(im broke so yeah....)

Post Thanks / Like

Straws make great floats. Just plug the top and bottom, epoxy both to seal, and put a barrel swivel in the bottom to run the line through.

You can make a weighted float by adding split shot to the bottom before sealing it.

Post Thanks / Like

the one that i made has a very small crap split shot that was in ammogst my tackle(i knew it would be put to good use), i also put dyed cotton at the top(the straw i was using was clear). its small enough to be used to small fish like sunfish. i tied a little bead to it to turn it into a slip bobber so it has less of a chance of getting cut off and lost. i used a lighter to melt the ends closed and old fishing line from one of my reels. i used just part of the straw so i can make various sizes for different lengths of casts. the one i made would best be used for short casts.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out the jig tying forum and DIY Plastics forum. Most of us on there started making our own tackle and lures because we could make it better and cheaper than you can buy it a a sporting goods stors. I used to make floats out of balsa wood. drill a small diameter hole to make it a slip float and seal with a waterproof agent like Thompsons water seal.

I make my own soft plastics...
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/diy-s...w-stinger.html

I make my own teardrop ice jigs....
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-t...-included.html

AND....
    I tie my own flies
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-t...t-cabelas.html

Here are some other home made inventions of mine including the pvc rod holder, the "quiver" rod carrier and the poor man's fishing bucket.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-t...t-started.html

Have fun and make your own. You are only limited by your imagination. You will save money and not overextend the tight budget.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 12-11-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

i am also planning to make bobbers out of wine bottle corks. ill have to take a look at that forum. i have plenty of jigs and ive repaired a few with nail polish and fly head glue.

Post Thanks / Like

If you need help drinkin the wine to get the Cork , give me a hollar.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

wilbur -

i do have one question about the cork....should i cover it with something like a sealant or will it be fine as is?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say as is. I use to fish with just a plain ole cork when fishing shallow. I guess my theory was it was natural looking and would not spook the fish. But now I fish with green or orange Styrofoam corks. That's just my opinion.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2019 Yamaha 90

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

No need to seal. You could use nail polish on top to help visibility.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

i was just thinking that. just use like an oil based paint or something to help to see it. another question, could the bottom half of the cork be painted black or some other dark color to disguise the bottom of the cork to have a cork that will be less likely to spook shallow fish after its in he water?

oh and i just thought of something: turning the cork into a larger style stick float for, lets say, crappie or some other larger fish than the sunfish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast