PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Tackle

Fisher_Girl_Kitti
12-11-2012, 03:37 PM
ok so i found this video on you tube about making stick bobbers out of straws. i made one(havent tested it yet) and turned it into a slip bobber.

i plan to make more if it works but id like some opinions on making home made tackle like bobbers and other things to save some money or because of being on a very tight budget(im broke so yeah....)

deathb4disco
12-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Straws make great floats. Just plug the top and bottom, epoxy both to seal, and put a barrel swivel in the bottom to run the line through.

You can make a weighted float by adding split shot to the bottom before sealing it.

Fisher_Girl_Kitti
12-11-2012, 04:00 PM
the one that i made has a very small crap split shot that was in ammogst my tackle(i knew it would be put to good use), i also put dyed cotton at the top(the straw i was using was clear). its small enough to be used to small fish like sunfish. i tied a little bead to it to turn it into a slip bobber so it has less of a chance of getting cut off and lost. i used a lighter to melt the ends closed and old fishing line from one of my reels. i used just part of the straw so i can make various sizes for different lengths of casts. the one i made would best be used for short casts.

shipahoy41
12-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Check out the jig tying forum and DIY Plastics forum. Most of us on there started making our own tackle and lures because we could make it better and cheaper than you can buy it a a sporting goods stors. I used to make floats out of balsa wood. drill a small diameter hole to make it a slip float and seal with a waterproof agent like Thompsons water seal.

I make my own soft plastics...
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/diy-soft-plastics/225572-my-shad-minnow-stinger.html

I make my own teardrop ice jigs....
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-tying-lure-making-forum/221547-not-pouring-but-soldering-teardrop-jig-video-included.html

AND....
I tie my own flies
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-tying-lure-making-forum/49497-sample-beginners-list-cabelas.html

Here are some other home made inventions of mine including the pvc rod holder, the "quiver" rod carrier and the poor man's fishing bucket.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-tying-lure-making-forum/54452-reflections-old-ship-how-i-got-started.html

Have fun and make your own. You are only limited by your imagination. You will save money and not overextend the tight budget.

Fisher_Girl_Kitti
12-11-2012, 04:05 PM
i am also planning to make bobbers out of wine bottle corks. ill have to take a look at that forum. i have plenty of jigs and ive repaired a few with nail polish and fly head glue.

wilbur
12-11-2012, 06:45 PM
If you need help drinkin the wine to get the Cork , give me a hollar.

Fisher_Girl_Kitti
12-11-2012, 06:53 PM
wilbur - :Rofl

i do have one question about the cork....should i cover it with something like a sealant or will it be fine as is?

slabjammer
12-11-2012, 07:03 PM
I would say as is. I use to fish with just a plain ole cork when fishing shallow. I guess my theory was it was natural looking and would not spook the fish. But now I fish with green or orange Styrofoam corks. That's just my opinion. :dono

Cray
12-11-2012, 07:21 PM
No need to seal. You could use nail polish on top to help visibility.

Fisher_Girl_Kitti
12-11-2012, 07:27 PM
i was just thinking that. just use like an oil based paint or something to help to see it. another question, could the bottom half of the cork be painted black or some other dark color to disguise the bottom of the cork to have a cork that will be less likely to spook shallow fish after its in he water?

oh and i just thought of something: turning the cork into a larger style stick float for, lets say, crappie or some other larger fish than the sunfish.

6poundtest
12-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Just make sure you only use corks from white wine; after all, white wine (not red) goes with fish, right?

rotfl

Fisher_Girl_Kitti
12-11-2012, 08:29 PM
haha i rarely drink wine actually. last time i had wine was thanksgiving. i think it was mascato or some variation of those letters. :Rofl

but still......idk how im gonna be able to get the corks.......

skeetbum
12-12-2012, 01:27 AM
I like the way your ideas just keep coming. Go to a winery and politely ask for some of thei old corks that are leftover from their tasting bottles. They might have some they would sell you without giving up the farm. Always fun to do your own gear.

shipahoy41
12-12-2012, 06:13 AM
I like the way your ideas just keep coming. Go to a winery and politely ask for some of thei old corks that are leftover from their tasting bottles. They might have some they would sell you without giving up the farm. Always fun to do your own gear.

Yeppir! For some reason they just taste better when caught on your own hand crafted lures and gear.

Fisher_Girl_Kitti
12-12-2012, 04:30 PM
ill figure something out eventually.

Fisher_Girl_Kitti
12-12-2012, 06:44 PM
i found something else out. bobbers made from a swim noodle. simple, effective, and a ton of then can be made out of one noodle.

Cray
12-13-2012, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't worry about painting the natural cork. Think it look more natural just as it is.

Fisher_Girl_Kitti
12-13-2012, 04:23 PM
im gonna have to pain the top of the cork though. i have bad eyesight.

CrappiePappy
12-14-2012, 12:24 AM
im gonna have to pain the top of the cork though. i have bad eyesight.

If you paint the cork "all over" ... paint it white. Why, you may ask ??? .... simple -- white will blend into the clouds/sky, from the vision perspective of the fish, since they would be looking at it from underneath. Make no mistake about it, though ... they can still see it, regardless of what color it is. But, the more it blends in with the background color (sky/clouds/floating debris) the less noticeable it becomes.

If you're just going to paint the top (or top half), and want maximum visibility ... Chartreuse would be a good color to try.

On another note ... if you're looking for "cheap" floats/bobbers ... you can do as I have done for many years, and look for them around the banks, hanging in trees, or just floating in the water. I'd venture to say that more than half of the floats that I have/use, have come from finding those lost by other anglers. And, if & when I should lose one ... I suffer no monetary loss, since they were free to begin with (& I'll likely find a few more to take their place).

... cp :kewl

shipahoy41
12-14-2012, 07:44 AM
On another note ... if you're looking for "cheap" floats/bobbers ... you can do as I have done for many years, and look for them around the banks, hanging in trees, or just floating in the water. I'd venture to say that more than half of the floats that I have/use, have come from finding those lost by other anglers. And, if & when I should lose one ... I suffer no monetary loss, since they were free to begin with (& I'll likely find a few more to take their place).

... cp :kewl

I thought I was the only one who had ever done that! LOL I have also made "Tell-a-bob" floats out of dowel rods, balsa base and a screw eye. Drill a hole about half way through into the base. The hole is the same diameter as the dowel. I usually am using a pear base and a 2.5 inch dowel so that the .5 is buried into the base and the 2 inches is exposed to tell on the fish. Assemble (Use Tiite-lok) the dowel into the base and add the small screw eye to the base. That is where you tie it on to your line. Waterproof the thing with Thompson's water seal and paint flo orange. The "Tell-a-bob" lays flat on the water until a fish starts nibbling at the bait. Then it starts to stand straight up telling on the fish. Snatch him and put it in the livewell. You can live well on a bunch or Bluegills and Crappies. The "Tell-a-bob" would cast a mile too.

S10CHEVY
12-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Pics of the ideas would be nice to see. Have been thinking of using some of the fat pens, and used magic markers for floats. But haven't started modifying any yet.

Fisher_Girl_Kitti
12-14-2012, 07:23 PM
i found the ideas mostly on youtube.

i have the ideas i want. i dont have many bright paints accept crimson red, white and lime green. most are acrylic. eh......ill figure it all out.

Cray
12-16-2012, 05:17 PM
i found the ideas mostly on youtube.

i have the ideas i want. i dont have many bright paints accept crimson red, white and lime green. most are acrylic. eh......ill figure it all out.
Nail polish LoL

Fisher_Girl_Kitti
12-16-2012, 10:26 PM
even nail polish is limited. i have mostly dark colors.