Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowe Stinger 17 HP?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowe Stinger 17 HP?

I am still boat shopping! A new model has entered the picture. The Lowe Stinger 17 HP with a 90HP Optimax. Anyone have one of these? Have a friend that does?

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lowe 175 multi-species... not the same boat, but I've been very happy with it. Mine has a 70 hp Yamaha on it. Mine rides a little rough in choppy water, but that's mainly the hull design. I'm thinking the boat you're talking about will have a smoother ride, because it is more of a performance hull design. My hull design was more for stability. I haven't had any other complaints about my boat. I don't think you'll go wrong with a Lowe, Express, or a G3.

Hope this helps some!

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy reading all replies on my questions! It definitely helps reading others input and points of view. The dealer priced me one for very little more $$ especially considering the 17 HP has a 90HP Optimax vs a 75HP Optimax, and when you factor in the other standard features of the HP vs the ST 175 it seems like the thing to do.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by lowe175 View Post
    I have a Lowe 175 multi-species... not the same boat, but I've been very happy with it. Mine has a 70 hp Yamaha on it. Mine rides a little rough in choppy water, but that's mainly the hull design. I'm thinking the boat you're talking about will have a smoother ride, because it is more of a performance hull design. My hull design was more for stability. I haven't had any other complaints about my boat. I don't think you'll go wrong with a Lowe, Express, or a G3.

Hope this helps some!

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping more guys owned one of these than seems too. Even comments on the 18HP would be welcomed as they are similar hulls.
    I just feel that this boat is worth the extra 12 to 13 hundred over the ST175 given it has a 90HP Optimax vs a 75HP Optimax and several other standard features on boat & trailer that are not on the standard ST175.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

that boat is a very well rounded boat. smooth riding like the xpress. the only thing that bothered me was when fishing outta the front of boat the leg room was a little less than i wanted but a quick fix for me was a S shaped pole for your seat to set on. it gave me another 4'' of leg room. another thin that i love was the live wells, it has a place for your minnow bucket and it keeps the bucket aerated soyour bait lasts longerthat means longer time fishin for me. good luck i hope this helps, but i agree with the quote above you cant go wrong with lowe xpress or g3 there all great boats
    "my wife" crappie fishing is a jerk on one end waiting for a jerk on the other."

pullin they're heads up, ears and all

Post Thanks / Like

My brother has a lowe 19st. I took it out a couple of weeks ago. I rides very nice. It has a 110 merc oil injection on it. I gets up on plane fast and moves down the lake. There was a pretty good wind blowing that day. Not quite white cap but almost and the boat handled very well. Steering was a little stiff for me but I am sure that is just an adjustment somewhere. Plenty of room rods and tackle box's and cooler. Nice livewell with minnow bucket in it. All around a good ride. Only thing I didnt like was the 24 volt trolling motor. It had way to much power even on the lowest setting. About knocked me out of the boat a few times. I think he paid around 14k for it.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just went and read the specs. Looks like it would depend on just how you fish. Two up front a lot and I'd go with 175. If not then the 17 with 90 for the money looks like a better deal.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave and Lynn, was that a set speed TM? My previous motor had set speeds and after having a variable it just didn't git it. I like being able to count the revs of the TM prop, that's slow.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased my first REAL boat about 3 months ago. I got the G3 Eagle 176. I mainly crappie fish a got the G3 because of its set-up. Live well next to me rather I'm fishing forward or aft. Has 2 built in forward deck mounts for seating. Lots of forward deck room for keeping that buddy, who always complains that your crowding him, QUIET. Went with a 24 volt trolling system and had a charger installed. All I have to do is plug the charger in and its ready to go!! Went with a 50 horse. speed gets up to 30-32. Rides very good and smooth too me. Easy loading and unloading by yourself once you get a hand of it. My first couple of times, glad no one was watching!! Either way you go you'll be happy. I'm from south central IL. and would love to show you the boat if ya want.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I appreciate that! The dealer I visited had 2 G3 Eagle 176's in stock. I think I have decided on the Lowe Stinger 17 HP with a 90HP Optimax. It has bow and aft livewells and is less money where I priced them. I just felt the Lowe dealer was making me too good of a deal to pass up.

It is a 2013 and has to be ordered. SOoooo! Now comes the wait!!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by shakynerves24 View Post
    I just purchased my first REAL boat about 3 months ago. I got the G3 Eagle 176. I mainly crappie fish a got the G3 because of its set-up. Live well next to me rather I'm fishing forward or aft. Has 2 built in forward deck mounts for seating. Lots of forward deck room for keeping that buddy, who always complains that your crowding him, QUIET. Went with a 24 volt trolling system and had a charger installed. All I have to do is plug the charger in and its ready to go!! Went with a 50 horse. speed gets up to 30-32. Rides very good and smooth too me. Easy loading and unloading by yourself once you get a hand of it. My first couple of times, glad no one was watching!! Either way you go you'll be happy. I'm from south central IL. and would love to show you the boat if ya want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast