Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever look-at, consider, have any experience with...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone ever look-at, consider, have any experience with...

A weed-eater outboard?

Weedeater Mud Motor : Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds

Name:  Picture620.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  105.6 KB

Anyone know how to figure, or even guess what kind of speed you could get from one?
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

I like it. I've even wondered about a gas powered leaf blower (jet propulsion) for moving a kayak around.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If the right size engine is used you can get good speed out of them on the small boats. I'm thinking like a 26cc and above. You can even order the propeller to have the proper pitch but most use a prop off a trolling motor.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

be noisy as all get out.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it would be noisy
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how well them flyin' carp would like it?
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather not get knocked out of my patio chair with one of them. Had a heavy duty weed eater that would have been nice to try on my kayak. Plenty
    of power but it never occurred to me to use it to power the kayak. It was very easy to start too. Gave it to my just retired neighbor so he could keep
    my weed eating issues under control. I mow his property with my zero turn and it is almost an even trade. I got the better end of the deal I think.
    TM is cheaper in the long run, even with the cost of the battery. I still have a new trolling motor and waiting to see what NM comes up with before I sell
    it. It might just get installed on my WS 135.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago there was a weed eater sold that had diiferent accessories you could add to it. One was a prop for trolling small boats. I can't remember the manufacturer.
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

It'd be interesting to know what sort of speed one could get from the WW motor (probably not much, but that's just a guess). My curiosity stems from getting out a bit further into the water before using battery power. If a small bit of fuel could "get you there", even at the speed (or more) of an electric TM, you'd have that much more battery reserve to fish a good while, and the WW motor to get you back in. Weight and cost (if it came close to "working") would be considerably less than a small outboard, and I'm not sure one couldn't add a modified exhaust, or even run it under water to quiet it some. Probably nothing I'd ever fool with, unless there was some good info on how well it pushed a fair-sized kayak/canoe.

RRR- I've no doubt the addition of the (electric) TM would be pretty simple, and since I'm leaning towards the NuCanoe I'd be saved modifying the mounting bracket, but that's not a huge obstacle to overcome either way. Since we're "Tesoro Bro's", I'd hook you up if you liked the way mine turned-out Though I've put my future project on the back burner for now, I can't say I'm not a bit anxious to get started on it.....down side is, it won't get started until I'm back home, which means leaving here.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Years ago there was a weed eater sold that had diiferent accessories you could add to it. One was a prop for trolling small boats. I can't remember the manufacturer.
    I may have to see if I can find some info on it, if nothing else just to see what sort of claims (if any) they made on it.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast