Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powder Painting Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Powder Painting Questions

I used search and also spent time googling around....but

I already bought several hundred tri-head jigs from litewirehooker on the forum here.

Which size fluid bed cup and why? (1.5, 2. or 3 ??)

Start simple with a single cup set up? KISS mentality

For just a guy looking to do a few jigs in custom colors this winter (500) is a candle, alcohol, or heat gun the easiest to get right.

Is a polyester powder ok, as I can get a pound for $12 vs 2oz for $8 for pro tech stuff. Something like this.....
    Powder Coating Coat Paint Ral 6018 Yellow Green 1lb New | eBay

Basic tools: fine needle nose, eye cleaner, rack, acetone? and of course Makers Mark....

What does adding clear to the powder painting process do for me that using a straight gloss powder paint doesn't or is it basically used to thin it out some.

Will the paint harden up "enough" naturally by just sitting to air or is baking absolute

Thank you in advance for one who is in the weeds here

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't answer all your questions but try on some.
    I use heat gun because I had it,tried candle and didn't like.
    Curved tip forcips work for me clamp over hook eye help keep paint out.
    2in cup for me. Build one and could always modify to 3 if necessary.
    No reason to add clear to a standard color that I know of.
    I heat,paint,then clean paint from around eye then bake. You don't have to bake but paint will chip off eventually with out it.
    Make a rack out of a coat hanger I just bent 2 90degree bends twisted a eye in each end and screwed to a scrap board.
    Paint will not harden in air.
    Fatman and some of the other guys will get on here some suggestions who beter versed in this than I am.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you that really helps me start understand as I am looking to get a fluid bed today and order some powders. On my lake the teal or bluegrass and WmW color is a killer so I wanted to do this as I could not find these colors offered. Plus it seems interesting.....real reason

Post Thanks / Like

Which size fluid bed cup and why? (1.5, 2. or 3 ??) I made my own 2" fluid beds and I can do up to 1/4 oz heads with no problem. There is a sticky at the top showing how to do it

Start simple with a single cup set up? KISS mentality Single bed is fine IF!!! you're going to be doing 50/100 of one solid color, then you'll have to change to another cup. If you get the screw in cups as I show, you can just get several cups. I made two extra beds as I won my first bed on another board

For just a guy looking to do a few jigs in custom colors this winter (500) is a candle, alcohol, or heat gun the easiest to get right. After trying a bunch of different ways, I personnally like the heat gun. I got a Wagner for $21 at Home Depot - their in the paint section

Is a polyester powder ok, as I can get a pound for $12 vs 2oz for $8 for pro tech stuff. Something like this.....
    Powder Coating Coat Paint Ral 6018 Yellow Green 1lb New | eBay
    Powder Coating Equipment Colors Guns Paint Systems Cost
    ColumbiaCoatings.com - Best Powders - Best Service - Best Price! They have a 3lbs for $30 special, you have to pick from their chart https://www.columbiacoatings.com/3_F...s_p/3for30.htm
    Rosey's Powder Coating | Rosey's Powder Coating They have a Candy & Fluorescent & Chrome Sampler - 16 colors - Over 3 lbs! - (3 ozs of each)
    Powders

Basic tools: fine needle nose, eye cleaner, rack, acetone? and of course Makers Mark.... Pretty much tht's it, this is a picture of my rack that I use for drying Just an aluminum bread pan and poke holes around the edges and fold over and spills go inside the pan. If you search for powder paint racks you'll find a bunch of different ones

What does adding clear to the powder painting process do for me that using a straight gloss powder paint doesn't or is it basically used to thin it out some. I have learned and been given advice on this one. Clear with some of the really heavy powders will help it go on easier without overloading it. Two colors I do this to are Jann's White and Black - they are heavy powder

Will the paint harden up "enough" naturally by just sitting to air or is baking absolute Simple answer to this - If you're going to go to all the trouble and cost of using powder CURE THEM

On the fluid bed you didn't mention a pump so here's what I use Tetra Whisper 60 - The pic shows a 20 but I took it back for the 60 I can easily run 3, 2" beds at the same time with this pump
    Last edited by Fatman; 12-09-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir. I read the sticky but I am just going to buy a 3" fluid bed with 3 extra cups. Your advice helped dramatically. Really like the bread pan idea and how you put them on pieces of bathroom tile, makes sense. I think I will just get a couple of basic colors and keep in some of the wife's mason jars for now. This will get me going and provide a work test bed for making the mistakes i am sure I will make. I also noticed the old newspaper you put down....like that also

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for helping me out

I bought a dual 2" 2 cup set up w/4 extra cups. Several colors (8) in the 1lb lots. Got some clear and silver glitter also. ....figure I could maybe trade some for other colors after I get going. Found an ebay 2 temp heat gun (575f & 900f) w/stand....could not see myself holding these jigs and a gun at the same time. Now to build another bench for the man cave to put this on......away from my reloading stuff

Now a 2x6 cut and some bathroom tile w/silicone caulk....to secure to 2x6 block with and mount a clip on light.

Now i am primed for a spectacular failure/mess.....

Thank you again

"No honey I have not seen your good Kerr canning jars or your bread pans"

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are about to get setup to do some nice powder painting. You will like playing around with the clear coat. I have a few colors that are always mixed with clear like the thicker paints that wants to go on to thick. Good luck and post some pics of your setup and painted jigs when you can.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

How miney cups do you need to PP jigs. Do you mix the colors or can you clean cup out good enuff to put more color in them. I may try to start building some. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Gindog - If you want to paint 3 colors have 3 cups. Now if your going to mix colors you'll need separate containers for those. Now depending what type bed you have will depend on what kind of cups you'll want. The beds I made the powder cup screws into the base. Which ever type make sure there is a thick base on the bottom of it so you can glue your filter on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Fatman what all do I need to start looking for to get started? What colors do you'll recommend at a starter colors. I think yellow, green, orange, white any other colors. How do you get the eyes on them? I see I am going have go to YouTube

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast