Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Weedless Jigs????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weedless Jigs????

Newbie thought I'd just jump right in!

Last thing I wanta do is make a jig weedless. Vertical jiggin ain't so bad, but swimmin one over brush and at the right spot either a fish or hung/brake off. Lotta ways maybe but I texas rigged a swimmer tail on the next one and walla! Ain't a lotta room to rig on typical jigs this way though. Dug around in my Walmart/BP tackle horde and found some sliders, some kinda offset hook type jig that looked real promising but no brand on packcage, some non-skirted tails that could try, and some jigs with plastic weed guards that looked fishless. Guess I could use a float for the right depth but the ultralite with 8' of line down wasn't good. Hate to rig slip corks. Long 10'spinnig poles could cast but. bla, bla ,bla...Any you fellars ever make your jigs weedless????

Last edited by denduke; 07-09-2006 at 02:47 PM.
    We didn't come to look and learn, we came to trun and burn!...DL's piping crew.

Post Thanks / Like

Denduke,
    About 4 months ago when I was home fishing the spawn my buddy told me to clip off a majority of the plastic weedguards on the weedless one. He said that you only need a few of the plastic pieces on the jig for it to be effective. I just use a set of fingernail clipers to cut them off. Honestly it increased my hook up rate and lowered my snaging/brake off rate. Ever since then that is all I have been doing and I can't say that I have lost a half a dozen jigs yet. Hope this works out for ya.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Denduke ...

Check out this thread:
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...highlight=wing

Also, I have some of those "offset hook" jigs ..... Mine are called "Little Pig Weedless Jig". They came from Nutter Rod & Reel, in White Ga. They were part of some Sponsor prizes, that I won in a Crappie tournament. I haven't even opened the packs, since I've had such great results with the P&S Custom Tackle weedless jigheads. :D

I don't like to use a jighead with an open hook, and "texas rig" a plastic grub on it, for a couple few reasons:
    Don't look as natural as a grub threaded on the jig hook and hanging horizontal.
    If the plastic grub is "hard" ... the hook takes more force to come thru, and that may require heavier line (>6lb test).
    If the plastic grub is "soft" ... the re-setting of the hook, into the grub, will tear the grub up more easily/quickly.
    And, when using a weedless jighead, I don't often have to "re-set" the grub on the hook.

Those "brush guard" jigheads you have, will work ... but, might I suggest that you trim the length of the "brushes" down a bit - say about 1/2 of the length of the brushes that are above the hook point. They really don't need to be quite that long.

Welcome to Crappie.com ............ luck2ya .. cp

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to" texas rig" them you could use a old bass trick and stick the hook all the way thru the jig body and then just place the point of the hook barely back into the jig on the top.

Works for me ...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellars, I must be in the right place! A lil' eye candy in return.

Just about gave up on everything but the perches anymore. But notice the LMB in the mix. Gott'em off the bass bug and the fat line early, then on to my perch holes later.
    We didn't come to look and learn, we came to trun and burn!...DL's piping crew.