Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Winter fishing tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter fishing tips.

Went fishing last night on Percy Priest in Tennessee. Had tons of boat problems and didn't catch any fish. Thought day on the water.

Tried a few spots I caught a log of crappie back in the summer. I had been fishing at night and love fishing under the lights.

I fished in the middle of the lake and have found some standing timber right near the channel in 40 ft of water. The channel is about 70 foot deep.

Using my electronics I just couldn't find any bait fish and we only caughtn keepers.

Do any of you have luck fishing at night in the winter time?

Should I look farther up river in shallower water or maybe farther down the lake in deeper areas. I need to learn more about winter patterns and if night fishing is effective.

Any tips are well appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I am no expert, but since nobody else chimed in I will give my .02. I dont know your lake but I would think that 15-30 ft would be a good place to start. If you have any knowledge of where they are holding during the day, then fish those same places at night. Timber near a drop sounds like a great place to anchor for some night fishing. Find some kind of structure: brush, drops, a bend in the channel, then check your electronics for shad and or Crappie. Once you find your soot, anchor a little ways away and cast to the outer edge of your lights. I would start with minnows close to the bottom close to the bottom. Again, i am no expert and i do not know your lake, but that would be my approach.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Like the comment above ...his way sound great too... I'm not a expert on this but a lot can play a part in this situation..... If you haven't been on those fish since summer then you probley have to cover some water to catch up with them..... Pay attention to the day temp and drops at night find a time were it has been pretty consistant for a few days..finding them in the day would help.. then go back on them at night..Things i would target would be Creek ledges with cover,leading to the main lake..drops 8 -12 fow.. Then 16-20 drops with cover...wood ....don't start out as deep at first the bait fish may be on the banks at this time of year in your area...once again im just guessing being this time of the year for your area. Im in Ohio and been catching fish from 4 fow last month. And Now at 9 fow last week. Sometimes I have spots I've been catching on drops at 20 fow on same lake. So just cover some water and good luck.....some people think cause the temp is cold to us the crappie just run to the bottom of the lake.....I dont think it's always true....now when it's bone freezing another story....good luck at winter night fishing....
    1. Live bait
    2. If fish with jig 32oz or smaller tip with small minnow... Vertical hold still fish slowwwwww....bite is going to be a small tap or he just tighten up on it.
    3. always let someone with a boat know what part of the lake you will be at once you start fishing.....

Sorry for so long but I got carried away.. Once again these are just thing I would try I'm sure other will chime in...please post if you find them.

Jeremy
    "Choices you make dictates the life you live"

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Thin your fishing way too deep. We're catching them in east Tenn rite now very shallow.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies and excuse my lack of knowledge. I had always just been a spring time crappie fisherman and site fished structure. This past year I bought a new boat and electronics and I'm trying to learn more.

When fishin shallow, what do you use this time of year? Minnows on a float, or slow rolling jigs? In the past I have always verticle fished structure.

Thanks for any tips. I have my brother in law coming into town and would like to take him fishing and catch a few.

Post Thanks / Like

All what you said but cast jigs to the banks ....and find structure and jig it. Trolling shallow may be tough if water is clear ....I think you may be better casting jig tip with small Minnow and slip float. Just use your best judgment in the situation.good luck
    "Choices you make dictates the life you live"