Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: artificial waxworms

Post Thanks / Like

Default artificial waxworms

Does anyone make any that work? I am getting plenty of gills, but am going broke buying waxies. Fishing 10 ft deep, in weeds, B-Spins, or tubes of any color don't come even close to strikes I get this time of a year on waxies. If your tubes work, I would appreciate the name brand and color, cause I am still convinced that live bait is best. Wigglers work great some places and not so good others.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Hey Mudwitch

Quote Originally Posted by mudwitch
    Does anyone make any that work? I am getting plenty of gills, but am going broke buying waxies. Fishing 10 ft deep, in weeds, B-Spins, or tubes of any color don't come even close to strikes I get this time of a year on waxies. If your tubes work, I would appreciate the name brand and color, cause I am still convinced that live bait is best. Wigglers work great some places and not so good others.
    I don't know of any artificial "wax worms" ... but, have you tried using a tiny, white plastic grub ... with some brand of scent on it ??

Have you given consideration to buying (or are you already buying) your wax worms from Grubco ? At $26.00 for a 1000ct (s/h cost incld'd.), that amounts to less than $0.03 apiece. http://grubcobait.netstorekeeper.com/
    And, if you aren't "squeamish", take a look at their "Spikes" (maggots) ... which are $13.50 per 1000ct (s/h incld'd) - or about $0.01 apiece.
    Dale Cochran/Grubco, is a Crappie.com Sponsor, so use the link at the top of the page, if/when ordering. .......... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey, Crappiepappy

The last couple of times I tried to order waxies from Grubco, they were out. I was told the moths weren't producing well. I haven't tried calling for almost a month, so the situation might be okay now.

Mudwitch - We're a little further south from you, but Grubco's mealworms work well for us, too. Plus, lately, we've been using garden pests. White Crappie Nibbles from Berkley work as a substitute sometimes. Have you tried them? - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Roberta ...

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    The last couple of times I tried to order waxies from Grubco, they were out. I was told the moths weren't producing well. I haven't tried calling for almost a month, so the situation might be okay now.
    Roberta
    Haven't talked to Dale in some time. I bet the screwy, early season weather had something to do with production being off. If the waxies weren't available ... did you consider the "spikes" ?? Or did you opt for the mealies - due to past success with them, or squemishness over the spikes (maggies). :D (Just joshing with you, Roberta ) .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Spikes are cheaper and tougher on the hook. I once tried to find out how many bream I could catch on one maggot. I stopped counting after ten.

Maggots rule.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Waxworms

Try Berkley's PowerBait Honey Worms.

They come in natural, yellow, and red. Natural seems to be the best on mosy days, all are pretty close. Looks like a waxworm or mealworm, and about 1" long.

They are very hard to beat for catching bluegill.

Post Thanks / Like

CP - The Grubco website says that spikes need to be kept at a temperature in the mid-thirties. I can't do that, so I'd rather not have a house full of blow flys, thank you very much. :-)
    As it turned out, we got a nice supply of waxies from someone we know. We raise our own redworms and we have bunch of mealworms and nightcrawlers on hand, so we're good for bluegill bait. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone. I did take a small plastic wiggletail minus the tail and it seems to work. I have not had a chance to really give em a go but I think they may work too. Someone told me to spray em with a fish attractant, so I will also give that a try. Thanks all....Its nice to stock up on dos 'gills. James

Post Thanks / Like