Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When mixing Plastic hot and cold!

Post Thanks / Like

Default When mixing Plastic hot and cold!

What type of mixing tools do you seasoned veterans use when mixing your plastic? Just starting out. If ship reads this there was a post he did on what was needed to get started, wil you repost it..

Thanks

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Stiffler,

Welcome from Alabama. I AM NOT a seasoned veteran. I also am a newbie when it comes to soft plastics. I have only been injecting molds about a year now. SnakeRiver (Bob Hinkle) has been like a mentor to me and I also learned a lot from Keith Pace.

I use an old microwave I found in a yard sale for $10.00 and several PYREX measuring cups. I use plastisol that I get from www.jannsnetcraft.com and I use coloring from them or Caney Creek. I use a thermometer that will tell me when the plastic is about 350 degrees so I don't have to put a finger in the plastic to check the temperature. I use welding gloves to handle the pyrex cups when they come out of the microwave. I use a metal rod to stir the colorant into the clear plastic. (Sections of an old coat hanger work for me.) I have blue jeans, long sleeved shirts and boots on. Usually I have an old towel double folded on my lap to protect the diamond jewels too.

Keep water (And coffee) away from your 350 degree plastics! Keep metal out of the microwave! I do not use cold plastics when I do Laminate colors. I inject the one color into a 10 cavity mold and have the contrasting color heating in the microwave. By the time I have cut off the bottom bellies and replaced them in the mold and tightened it, the contrasting color is ready to inject. Use a little firm pressure and you get a good weld bond.

READ THIS THREAD!!! It helped me and it will help you. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/diy-s...s-newbies.html

This was a stickie on basic supplies needed. I DID NOT post this (Stump Hunter did) but it has valuable info for the newbie to soft plastics.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/diy-s...6-supplys.html

This was the post on the first soft plastic lure I tried to do.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-t...em-photos.html

This was the post on how to solder an ice jig , teardrop, or pinmin lure.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-t...-included.html

This was the post on how I got started making lures....
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-t...t-started.html
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 12-08-2012 at 07:33 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I robbed a couple butter knives out of the kitchen. that is what I use to stir. If You decide to use glitter, I recommend You buy from the plastics suppliers that sale the glitter for the plastic baits. I would be wary of glitter from some craft stores as some are made of metal. You put that in a batch of plastic in the microwave and you really will create the color "Fourth of July". Please read all You can about the safety issues before You start. You can get seriously burned just from ignorance (I mean that just by the pure definition of the word).

It is fun after You are set up right and safe. One of the main things You can do is ask lots of questions and do some searches. You will find tons of How to info that will probably cover a lot of questions but still feel free to ask anything.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

If you are just getting started, I'll add to slow down and pay attention to what you are doing. This is not a hobby that will mix well with alcohol so decide up front if you want to shoot plastic or enjoy a drink when you get the free time. Baby steps are the best step.

If your title is a question, some colors can be mixed hot, but most do better when mixed in the raw plastic. If you do want to add some extra adjustment color to the already cooked plastic simply mix it into a small amount of raw plastic first and you won't get color clumping.

Ship has written a very good piece here and it answers a bunch of questions but the one thing I find to be the most valuable as far as cost effectiveness and time saving goes is a recipe book. Buy yourself a couple legal pads and as you begin a new color log every drop of whatever until you determine you have what you want, then clean up your notes and re-write that recipe on a clean sheet and store it. I keep mine on a word file in the computer as well as a printed copy. As I make changes to the paper copy or add new colors, I take time to edit the computer file. When the paper version gets messy, I re-print. The recipes are always right there where I work.

Personally I use nothing but Caney Creek's Crystal clear plastic and their colorants are about 75% of the colors I have on hand. I also use their stabilizer and softener. As mentioned, glitters are something to get at places that specialize in what you are doing. Hobby Lobby and Michaels both have glitters that can be used in the plastic but you really have to know what you are shopping for and many of these really pretty glitters can bleed into your plastic colors and change things dramatically. Blues, reds and PURPLES are the worse bleeders.

The best tool you can hold will be a thermometer. Do some searching and spend the money on a quality tool. Caney Creek's website has several mentions of a dandy thermometer for this purpose and the cost is around $18.00 + shipping. What you will save in burned plastic will more than pay for this one chunk of equipment.

More than anything, have fun with this. Use you imagination with the colors and combinations. I've made jigs for the last 50 years or so and started doing the plastic thing a year ago and the plastic eclipses the enjoyment I get out of making the jigs and I love that. Relax, take your time and ask questions. I guess I feel that if people have small children on the loose, they should also consider making the plastics in an area where those little ones cannot become exposed to hazards that come with the process.

snake River is online now Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I could net anymore to the information above you guys did a terrific job I'm sure that he will find all this information helpful.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

A glass stir rod.... I obtained from Mr Panman. (RIP) Works very well and cleans up good.
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion

snake River is online now Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

we use brazing rods they work exceptionally well and you don't have to worry about them breaking in the clean beautiful.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I use a wide blade standard screwdriver. The handle makes it easy to hold on to with gloves on and the wide head mixes very well.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magnum500 View Post
    I use a wide blade standard screwdriver. The handle makes it easy to hold on to with gloves on and the wide head mixes very well.
    I use old wore down screwdrivers with the wore down heads cut off. I like having a handle, but any round rod will stir well without adding air bubbles to the melted plastic.

I only fish on days of the week that end with
    a "Y" ...and then, only if it's raining or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandeman View Post
    I use old wore down screwdrivers with the wore down heads cut off. I like having a handle, but any round rod will stir well without adding air bubbles to the melted plastic.
    And that screwdriver shaft will make a nice small tube dipper once it gets a thin wipe of worm oil!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast