Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will it ever end with this lightening trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will it ever end with this lightening trouble

Well that darn lightening strike also took my network cards on both my PC and my Mac. So this morning I know a guy near me that works on computers and he had a network card I could buy so picked it up and came home and installed it in the PC so now at least have it. However I have to get the new router in before I can use my Mac wireless as don't want to send it back yet to replace my network cards in it. So still can get email other than my iPhone because I have to keep that coming to the Mac and don't want it on the PC so I can keep all my email files on one computer.

Hate lightening more than ever!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh also forgot to mention that my sound system for my TV lost the HDMI plugs so don't know what to do about that or if I can get Sony to fix that or not.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

I sympathize totally with your frustration, that's why now if a storm is coming or might hit while I am not at home, I unplug all electronic equipment in the house, its a small price to pay to avoid going thru the hassle of replacing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Your right and I have so many things plugged in that I can't get to easy I am thinking about something I just heard about and that is surge protection at the house electric box it self. I have 2 boxes since the original home was added on to I would need 2 of them and am thinking that $189 for each may be a small price to pay.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you are talking about, but I have read that those can't withstand a direct lightning hit.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to talk to one of my neighbors that is also a good friend and a really great electrician and get his advice soon.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Last summer I had a electrican change out the 3 wires running from outside meter thru wall & into main fuse & circuit panel. When I mentioned about lightning striking at our pole a few years back he suggested I upgrade the grounding system (presently a cable running from Elect panel to and clamped on water pipe)- to a outside ground at the meter box its a 6 guage cable running from the meter box wiring to a 10' copper pole pounded about 9 feet in ground, which I had done, supposedly this ground rod will the bulk of a lightening hit-so we will see its got to be better than what I had............... Note I still have batteryback up surge prtectors hooked up to all TV & recorders, computers & back up system and printers and regular 2000 joule plug ins for microwave & stove 7 fridge. So I am trying to prevent another lightning strike burn out but, who knows, figure I can at least try.........
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that just had a strike a few months ago that was over $8000, the power company found a huge amount of resistance to ground. The power company installed a new
    ground rod at the pole along with a spike suppressor before the meter. I would check with the power company and see what they offer.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a great idea zrdc28, thanks!

Oh crud, now the Washing Machine that is less than 6 months old is having issues and is one of the high end ones that doesn't use much water. We got it because we are on a Septic system and of course the old kind of machines use a huge amount of water and this one uses like less than 13 gallons. The old kind of top load machines use maybe 50 gallons a load?? I think they now have top load machines that also are better on water.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Well this is probably not what you are going to want to hear, But forewarned is forearmed so.........

It's quite possible that any sort of electrical equipment which you had in house is going to be taking a dump here shortly. A lightening strike does not always completely fry electronics (anything with a circuit board) It often just overloads and stresses the electrical components / capacitors, These will then start failing on a regular basis, for example I suffered from a pretty bad electrical strike in maryland when i lived there, Very fortunately I had almost all electronics in the house on Surge Protectors w/ battery backups even including surge protection for the cable line etc.

However i did not have a protector on one key thing, (the cable line running to my broadband router and from there to the home PC)

First the NIC card on the pc went out (network card), about 3 months later had problems with sound, so had to add a sound card, another 2 months and the motherboard gave up the ghost.... etc..

Often damage from strikes doesnt show all at once, so if you make an insurance claim make sure insist that electrical items "damaged" be replaced and not just repaired.

sorry to hear of it... I know its a pain. Look forward to see you at toledo bend in jan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast