Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Numbers on a canoe?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Numbers on a canoe?

I have equipped my canoe with a trolling motor and now I believe I have to register it and put numbers on it.

Has anyone encountered this situation?

4. Vessel Registration
    Under Tennessee law, all vessels propelled by machinery (including documented vessels) and
    all sailboats must be registered in this state if principally used in Tennessee. Mechanical
    propulsion, which includes electric trolling motors, does not include boats powered only by
    oars or paddles. If registration is required, boats must be properly registered before used on
    any public water of Tennessee. Boats currently registered in other states may use Tennessee
    waters for a period less than 60 consecutive days.

Post Thanks / Like

Indiana's the same way, motorize it (including electric trolling motor), and you have to register it. Call your BMV to find-out what you'll need to bring (just to save a 2nd trip), they may even require a picture of the boat (canoe/kayak). Been there, done that, got the t-shirt
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

pretty sure you will have to register it but would talk to the people in Nashville or a local office and make sure.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a bill of sale or purchase receipt you can register it at most county court houses. You will also need the ID numbers usually found along the gunnel trim. Then they issue you unique numbers and sticker to be place on the hull. Then you will go buy numbers and try to get them to stick to your hull (I used a board and then zip-tied it to the gunnel)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know of a state that does not require registration if you use a trolling motor on just about anything. Logs included.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

I recently registered my 50+ year old aluminum canoe so I can run a trolling motor on it. Registration was fairly easy even though the boat had no Hull ID number. I guess it was made before that was required. I had to apply to the game and fish for a hull ID, then have it accessed and registered by the county. Cost me $15 for 3 years. A motor boat 14 feet or less is only $7.50 for 3 years, but they do it by length. This was in Arkansas, sure it varies by state.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, those #@#@###@!!! revenooers got their sticky mits in everthin. Blue meanies suck.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in SC after you register a boat you will pay taxes on it every year for now on.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I checked with our local dept. and I will have to register it, pay taxes on it, put numbers and a sticker on it, $12.00 per year....................FOREVER!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here in TN you only pay sales tax on it the first time you register it. Of course, you still have your annual registeration fee (but that goes towards boat ramps and such).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast