Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ohio River backwaters

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ohio River backwaters

I have been fishing the same stretch of backwaters just above the dam for ten yrs. And on a great day we may get lucky and bring home 15 crappie. I can't complain this year though because I haven't caught any under twelve inches. I know these waters well but I catch most off the trees laying in places where there is a steep drop off close to the bank. There are stumps,Lilly pads, fallen trees, brush piles, beaver dams up and down this beautiful waterway with a creek channel that stretches the whole length. The deepest spots are only 10 to 15 ft (in the channels) with a lot of wide shallow flats. If I can't catch off trees or stumps I get stumped and don't know how to locate fish. Slip floats and minnows is my main strategy but wondering if jigs in open waters is the answer? Can someone please give me some tips on how to catch more fish in this type of environment.

Post Thanks / Like

Every type of structure you mentioned will hold crappie, fish them all. This time of year I would vertical fish that creek channel, learn every turn of it. Your water sounds like a jig fishermans paradise, get you a long pole and disect that place.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like the river here in Mississippi I would single pole it with a jig and don't over look shallow water like 3 feet or less. there is a pattern for every day you just gotta figure out what that pattern is good luck
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

kycreek is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like my part of the river. Although I didn't catch that size fish consistently this past year. Lots of dinks upriver from you. But, I guess that bodes well for the future.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish just about the same kind of water as you do on the Mississippi River. Don't forget about barge tie ups if you have them. Boat docks and bridge pilings can be hot also. Just like above, that was stated about getting a long jigging pole. At least 10 ft. to maybe 12 ft. if it feels like you can fish a pole that long for the amount of time you will be on the water. These fish will really get shallow, you would think there backs would be sticking out of the water at times. Just like all other types of fishing don't cast you shadow over the structure you plan on fishing. Fish into the wind and current if possible also so it doesn't push you to close to it. When I fish this type of shallow cover fish a very light jig. A 1/32 our lighter is best. But that also is up to the amount of wind and current you have that day. Find a source that sells light jigs but keeps the hook size you need, very important !!! STEVE

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, the long rod may just be the answer. My approach is to put the Jon boat as close to tree as possible, sometimes in/on it, lol. That way I won't snag as much. I have noticed that this tactic works better when fishing alone. I'm hitting the creek today, ill keep u posted, hope weather hasn't messed up the bite.Name:  IMG_8629.jpg
Views: 2616
Size:  87.4 KBName:  IMG_1275.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  41.2 KBName:  IMG_9767.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  52.0 KB

kycreek is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good fish. Them laydowns in the background look good.

Post Thanks / Like

I would work those lay downs in pict above --start out fishing deep outside of lay downs(could be lots of tree under water u cannot see) and gradually work your way closer to lay downs and finish by working the shallow water at lay downs. Fish could be 14feet???? some days and other days a couple of feet. I have found days after a rain and water is all muddy fish will seek clearer water which is usually that lay down water near shore say 2 feet as they can see their prey cause the got to eat. Put a rod in the hands of your co-pilot and see that big smile grow even bigger.................................
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the advice, got some light jigs and dug the 12 footer out of the basement. Looking forward to getting back out there and trying some new techniques. Friday was a bust, my honey-do-list shortened my fishing trip to a few short hours but I was able to pull one lunker off a stump in a spot I usaully just cruise past.