Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Zoom lenses

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Zoom lenses

My Panasonic DMC-FH20 has an 8X optical zoom that usually produces a fairly sharp image. Based on past experience, my fishing camera will eventually take an unwanted bath or will otherwise bite the bullet, so I'm not interested in a SLR or anything expensive. I'm already looking at moderately priced cameras with more powerful zooms, but suspect that it's possible to get too much of a good thing. Has anyone run into trouble with powerful zooms producing blurry images because you can't hold the camera steady enough?

Post Thanks / Like

usually the more powerful the lens, then the more shakiness or blurring occures when you use the zoom. Some cameras have a built in "accessory" or feature to reduce or eliminate this. Wife has a older model Sony SLR style digital camera with this feature and it works. I know this type camera is not what you're wanting or needed, but the feature is available, but I don't know if its available on the smaller point and shoot cameras. You may want to look at the GoPro, they are pricey, but from some of the pictures I've seen posted on other fishing forums, nice pics, and don't remember any blurring, etc., but they may be able to edit that out or take several pics till they get a good clear pic.

You might try using a different setting, such as a sports mode, which has a faster shutter speed if your camera has those options. Or portrait mode, etc.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the steadiest hand, but do OK with the 8X. I'm curious, though, about 20X and 30X cameras. It will be much harder to hold a long zoom lens steady enough for a good picture, especially when the boat's moving. Is anyone using a 20X or longer zoom lens & do you have trouble holding it steady enough on the water?

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use a Nikon and 500mm telephoto lens... I used a rifle stock mount or a mono-pod to steady.

A mono-pod and a quick release will do you proud..... or a RAM Mount.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corker View Post
    I don't have the steadiest hand, but do OK with the 8X. I'm curious, though, about 20X and 30X cameras. It will be much harder to hold a long zoom lens steady enough for a good picture, especially when the boat's moving. Is anyone using a 20X or longer zoom lens & do you have trouble holding it steady enough on the water?
    i just got a kodak with 24 optical zoom to use in the boat, i boat it used ebay. 18mp ill let u know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappiegirl1 View Post
    i just got a kodak with 24 optical zoom to use in the boat, i boat it used ebay. 18mp ill let u know
    The kodak is doing wonderful a n i got it used on eBay for $100

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    CG1 "Dances with fish"

Post Thanks / Like

Show us some speck-tacular pix!