Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Living in a 14-foot canoe...could you/would you do this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Living in a 14-foot canoe...could you/would you do this?

I followed this link today and immediately thought of the creative folks in this forum at C.C. As a thought experiment as the soft water fishing season winds to a close - leaving more time for thinking, how would you pull off living from a 14-foot canoe (or kayak or other small watercraft) as your base? How would you outfit your craft? What's necessary? What's dispensable? Would you make fishing a key component of your decisions?

Man calls 14-foot canoe on Boston Harbor his home - Houston Chronicle

Your is welcome.

Watertooner

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty cool story. I don't think I'd want any part of staying in that area (nothing against it), I'd be riding the southern flow to somewhere warmer and less noisy/crowded, but that's just me.

When folks "have" to, they just might be surprised what one can live without. Shelter, water, and food is all that's required to survive. I'd only carry items directly related to acquiring those 3 things.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Different mode of living. Bet he has an umbrella too. Yep, I'd be southbound too. Months ago for sure.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Man... Think about it. Pure freedom.

I have been telling people for years,. I would like a small house on a beach.
    Where I could sell beer, bait, and rent out kayaks.
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Boston Harbor doesn't sound like a great wintering location for a man in a canoe. Would have to find a way to keep things very simple and flexible. I'd have a couple dry bags for clothes and bedding. A rocket stove for cooking and heating. A cooler for liquid necessities - like water and beer. A tent. A good knife (pronounced 'knoif'). Electronics like smartphone with data plan and fishfinder. Fishing tackle and gear. I would locate in a warm geographic location where you could get easy access from the waterfront to banking, car rental or bus service, medical care, storage, a YMCA or fitness club for showers, library with places to charge electronics, etc. The flexibility to enter or leave the services of civilization via the water isn't something I've thought much about. I've lived most of my life in fly-over country as a flatlander.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the wife will like that arraingement. Nuff said...

Post Thanks / Like

Been to Boston Harbor once in May and they had super big swells coming. They have to moor the lobster boats on buoys because the tide has so much range I guess. I can't see anything that's fun about that existence. Kinda sad to me.