Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoon Fishing for Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spoon Fishing for Crappie

I am wanting to try some spoon fishing this winter but have never tried it before. Is there any certain type of spoon I need to look for to target crappie? I have done a little research and found several but I thought I'd ask here first before I started spending too much money on lures Ive never tried. Also any tips and techniques for spoon fishing would be appreciated. Thanks, Daniel

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used jigging spoons with good success but I have to say the original hooks were too small. I used some 1/12 Kastmaster that come with a #10 or 12 treble. Hooking up wasn't the problem, but the bigger ones almost always pulled free before being netted.. Drifting with them suspended worked good, they didn't take them when jigged like you would do for white bass. A #6 regular hook has been installed on them but not tried yet. 2 1/2lb Spotted bass like em fine too and liven up the day just fine.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Skeet. I was searching the web and ran across these crappie flutter spoons, Fishtech Lures :: Crappie Flutter Spoon. Has anyone tried these?

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I replace the hooks with a #6 red treble. Dan those spoons look good, I think they will do the job for you. May order a few myself.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

We use Berry's Flexit spoons with great sucess. Bounce it right on the bottom. Our best producer is the 3/4 oz or the .6 oz in blue metallic foil. The charteruse is also good. You will pick up Stipers, LM Bass, White Perch, and Catfish with this so keep a good grip on your rod. Our biggest fish on these so far was a 25# Blue Cat. Quite a shock when you are expecting a 1# Crappie.

Berry's Flex-it Spoon - Captain Mack's

BPS and most national shops carry them. I posted the above link simply to show you what they look like, however, that is a good price for them. I just paid $3.99 for some and they are as much as $4.50 some places.
    They are effective though.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks SeaRay I will give those a shot.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I make my own and use a #4 or #6 hook depending on the shell size. Try and make your own. Here is how.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/panfi...r-crappie.html

Here is a thread on Castmasters and Sweedish pimples. Good info here also.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ed-spoons.html
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Swedish Pimple and KastMaster spoons quite successfully in seasons past. Haven't given them a work out this fall/winter yet, but I'll have to try tossing a few before the water freezes up completely.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie_dan View Post
    Thanks Skeet. I was searching the web and ran across these crappie flutter spoons, Fishtech Lures :: Crappie Flutter Spoon. Has anyone tried these?
    I make that same spoon and it does a great job for crappie. I actually make/use a wide variety of spoons and at times, like anything else, they can be unbeatable.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the jigging spoons, but crappie will also hit a good size spoon. This summer we were having some fun going after yellow bass and white bass with 1/2 oz cheaper spoons we get local much like some sold with names on the and in the right spot all in the same area there was a lay down in about 30' of water on that area and every time we got over that spot we would catch a nice big crappie so don't shy away from the spoons of the 1/2 oz size. Besides I can't tell you how many crappie I have caught that spit up a big d shad when I got them in the boat!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast