Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Home Made Dough Bait - Opinions Wanted

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Home Made Dough Bait - Opinions Wanted

I don't know where else to put this but here in the Live Bait section.

Now, recently I have been thinking about making a home made dough bait for Crappie, Bass, Bream and Catfish. I know there is a bunch of home made baits out there and even more pre-made store bought baits but I want to try something different and maybe make a bait that will work on all kinds of fish.

Now, what I was thinking about putting in the dough bait is attractants that explode with scent but is also what the target fish is feeding on. For Crappie, I was thinking of adding something like ground or pureed minnows since that is what the Crappie go after naturally along with other scents and flavors. Bass would probably be minnows or bream mixed in with the dough. For Catfish, I was thinking a mix of ground/pureed minnows/bream with other scents and flavors to make the dough a real stink bomb to us but a real feeding-frenzy inducing smell and taste for the fish. Now as for Bream, since they go after worms and crickets harder than other fake baits, perhaps adding pureed worms or crushed crickets to the dough along with something sweet but lightly fragrant to really entice the fish into a major feeding-frenzy.

Bass, Bream, Crappie and Catfish are what the baits would target but should have the possibility to catch other fish depending on the lake and environment. Since the baits are dough baits, they can be used with just about any kind of hook or bait holding contraption. For lures like crank baits, the dough can be added to one or all of the hooks to leave a scent and flavor trail to attract more fish and get more hits than you would with just the lure. The same thing can be done with jigs to add extra oomph to your rig. With the extra boost to your rig for whatever fish you are after you could get more hits than you would without. This is really the goal of the bait to make fishing more fun, faster and with bigger and more feisty fish.

Opinions are greatly appreciated on this and it will also help me decide weather or not to try making it.

Post Thanks / Like

To save yourself from a lot of mess, I'd just buy some commercial scents. There are loads of them available.

Post Thanks / Like

the reason i want to do this is because i want something to do with my spare time before i go fishing(if i ever go fishing again...which i doubt i will any time soon....).

but getting those comercial scents are part of what ill be adding to the dough but ti give it a bigger punch to it id add chunks of actual fish. that way, in my hypothesis, the fish will be bigger and have harder hits.

besides, i like messy. the messier the better right?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Grind up sardine oil, anise and glycerine. Add to your dough ball. Consider a few mini marshmellows too. Form into tiny balls.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

thats an idea.