Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to go

Post Thanks / Like

Default where to go

I would like to go crappie fishing early April. I am kind of new to crappie fishing and 70 years old so I would like to keep drive to 6 hrs or so. I am located 30min. north of Harrisburg Pa. Probably looking at going south in the warm. prefer to rent house or cottage on water. Any sugguestions?

Post Thanks / Like

i don't know how far a drive it is but you can't beat MISSISSIPPI when it come to crappie fishing !!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help you in that part of that country but once you decide where your going you can find some great rentals here.

VRBOŽ is Vacation Rentals By Owner

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Where to go....welcome to the board. I attended the War College in Carlisle a few years ago. We used to bank fish Opossum Lake frequently for crappie, and did fairly well. It is an easy access lake, and is 15-20 minutes NW of Carlisle, PA. This would be fairly close to where you live.

A 6 hour drive will get you somewhere into VA, WV, Ohio, parts of Kentucky, and maybe parts of NC. I know that Carlisle, PA to Huntsville, AL is about a 12 hour drive. I can't help you with the other states I mentioned above, but I do agree with meatgetter that Mississippi is a great place to fish. I can also say the same for Alabama.

Hopefully someone from VA, Ohio, WV, VA, or NC can give you some good tips.

BTW you live in a beautiful part of the country!

Spaceman

Post Thanks / Like

If u can drive 6 you can come on down to ms. It will b worth the extra time if you can swing it but if you can't maybe you will b able to another time.

2003 Xpress X17
    MinnKota V2 Powerdrive
    Humminbird 998c
    Cumberland Crappie Racks
    BnM PSTs

Post Thanks / Like

The closest quality lakes would be Kentucky/Barkley and Reelfoot. Both have reputations as great crappie lakes.
    Professional Crappie Removal
    Safe and ethical
    One rod, one jig, one fish at a time.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

12-20 ... your six hour drive window would get you to Kerr Lake, Virginia (aka Buggs Island Res.) You could go on the Va forum & ask around about what to expect as far as weather, lodgings, regulations, and what fishing methods would be most effective at that time of year.

For comparison :
    KY/Barkley Lake in Western Ky .... ~ 12hr drive
    Reelfoot Lake, Tn ... ~ 14hr drive
    Weiss Lake, Ala ... ~ 12hr drive

... so you know what your facing, if you're considering going farther South.

"Early" April usually experiences a lot of flip-flopping weather, temps, and lake water level fluctuations. So, if you're looking for "warm" conditions, you may want to explain just what you consider "warm" weather. How long you intend this trip to be, might also figure into how far you're willing to travel.

.... luck2ya, wherever you decide to go !!!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have checked Kerr but no lodging or private docks that I can find. Gaston or Smith Mountain seem to have these.but not much info on crappie at these lakes. Pulling my boat every day would be a pain. Looking at 2 weeks and 60 to 75 degree days. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I would ask or pm Don G he could tell you more on the Virginia fishing I know he catches a bunch of them and some pretty good ones at that
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Kerr lake all the time,and Mar,April,and May,I camp there these 3 months,It is the best lake I ever fish,It has logging but I am not familar with those ,but get on Kerr lake message and you will get a answer,will be there then just let me know and be glad to help you. Last year in 4 months ,wife and I caught over 5,ooo and 5 was over 17 inches so its a great lake
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast