Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: stabil

Post Thanks / Like

Default stabil

I am lucky to have a few gas stations in my area that offer no ethanol gas. Some people say it is still a good idea to use stabil in the tank. I went to walmart and found some but they have two different kinds. They had a reddish color one that just said stabil and a blue color one that said marine stabil. The info on the back was the same, the price on the front was twice as much for the marine product. Is the regular stabil fine to use or should I use the marine. I think they are the same and just a marketing ploy.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using red for years now and no problems yet
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Just some additional info for what it's worth off another site:

Thanks for the input. According to the Stabil folks the only difference between the two products is that Marinbe Stabil just has more of the same stuff in it. The following quotes their web site:

"How does MARINE Formula STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment and Performance Improver work, and how is it different from Regular STA-BIL?
    MARINE Formula STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment is a new, enhanced formula of STA-BIL, America's top selling fuel stabilizer, that was designed to fight many of the unique problems related to ethanol in gasoline in the moisture-laden marine environment, and fights those problems in three ways:

1. Fights Fuel System Deposits – Ethanol in gasoline acts as a solvent on the accumulated deposits in marine fuel tanks, fuel lines, carburetors, injectors. These loosened deposits can cause engine performance problems, including hard starting, rough running and stalling. MARINE Formula STA-BIL cleans-up power-robbing deposits from carburetors, fuel injectors and intake valves to improve engine performance. MARINE Formula STA-BIL contains more than FOUR TIMES the fuel system cleaner in Regular STA-BIL – it is a Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

2. Fights Fuel System Corrosion – Ethanol in gasoline attracts water from the moist marine air. Since virtually all marine fuel systems manufactured through 2007 vent to the air, the ethanol continually attracts water – which can cause corrosion damage to marine fuel tanks, fuel lines, carburetors and injectors. MARINE Formula STA-BIL contains DOUBLE the corrosion preventer in Regular STA-BIL, to fight the unique problems of ethanol in gasoline in the marine environment, including marine fuel tanks which vent to the marine air.

3. Fights Fuel Degradation – Pumped gasoline starts to degrade immediately. MARINE Formula STA-BIL keeps fuel fresh for up to 12 months in marine gas tanks. Just like Regular STA-BIL, adding MARINE Formula STA-BIL Keeps Fuel Fresh , and eliminates the need to drain fuel prior to storage."

From the companies description it seems they are basically the same although Marine Stabil has higher formulation for corrosion prevention and fuel system cleaning.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are running your boat fairly regular, couple times a month, then there is no need to add it. Keeping a boat covered or in a shed will help more than anything, a boat that sits in direct sunlite has way more probs than one that is protected from the elements. My boat gets run real regular so I dont fool with it.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

yes, use the blue stabil. you never know for sure that the gas is ethanol free. an one ounce is not gonna cost that much each fill up and may save you lots of money down the road.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me first say"I don't know if this is true or not".

I don't think there is a product out there that will separate water from ethanol gas. A petroleum engineer said that you have to heat ethanol gas to 160 degrees to separate the water. If that is the case, what good would any "treatment" do?
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I use ethanol gas; also add startron periodically to combat any separation. No problems.

Post Thanks / Like

i use the boat about 3 times a week and it is stored under a carport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don G View Post
    Let me first say"I don't know if this is true or not".

I don't think there is a product out there that will separate water from ethanol gas. A petroleum engineer said that you have to heat ethanol gas to 160 degrees to separate the water. If that is the case, what good would any "treatment" do?
    The ethanol/water mixture commonly found in gasolines is an azeotrope - which can not be distilled at any temperature. As bizzare as it sounds, lime (calcium oxide) can be added which will form with the water to make calcium hydroxide in which both can be filtered out. Jet fuel manufacturers utilize salt in a simular manner. But all this seems extreme.

What the common off the shelf products do is "break up" the water into smaller particles (easily emulsified) so it may pass through the system along with the fuel.
    Randy Andres

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate spending the money on it too, but it does do something to help make the gas last longer. If you need to see it, get you two glass jars and put in fresh gas. Squirt a bit of Stabil in one. Leave the other alone. Cap them and put them away. Go check them 30 days, and again in 60. My boat will set sometimes for months. I use it. Gas still looks and smells like gas.

You can test your gas to see how much ethanol is in it. You need a container (preferably a graduated cylinder). Add some water to the container and mark the water line. Fill with gas. Shake or stir. Look how you new "water line" has moved up. The Ethanol and water mixed and will fall out of solution. I did it at my local gas station as a test to see if it was more than 10%. It was right at 10%. Google it for a video example.

My water seperator filter does get some water in it from time to time. It is worth paying attention too.

Dayton

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast