PDA

View Full Version : Really bad day for me and electronics

skiptomylu
12-04-2012, 11:45 PM
My whole electronic world is screwed up. Lightening struck here and took out 2 of my 3 directv boxes, my Hughes Internet modem, Router, dogs pet door, phones, AC circuit board! So this has been a real bad day!

May take me a few days to get Internet going as have to wait on Hughes people!

japhill
12-05-2012, 06:47 AM
Sorry to hear about the damage, I have been through the same thing myself. The insurance company wasn't too bad to work with, but it was just such a hassle to replace everything and get things back to normal.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

yankee doodler
12-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Sorry for all the frustration Skip. Like Japhill I had something similar happen when the company I had putting in my septic field yanked my neutral loose from my house and fried all my electronics in the house and subsequently in my fifth wheel that was plugged into my barn. The hassle wasn't the insurance company, it was the time involved in replacing it all. It'll all get done.

Don G
12-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Skip, did you have your on board chargers plugged in? Better check......

Billbob
12-05-2012, 08:50 AM
that stinks

skiptomylu
12-05-2012, 09:04 AM
No Don G, thankfully boat was in carport and not plugged in and humminbird was not on the boat and just sitting inside the house.

yes totally sucks and everything is working to get here, but the darn Hughes people can't even tell me when someone can come until later today. Takes them 24 hours to just get it in the system. Directv will be here tmorrow morning. Cisco/Linksys is sending new Router via UPS. The pet door is big thing too and not sure what we have to do about it yet!

Thanks guys!

Woodworker42
12-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Oh man, that is a big bummer. My thoughts are with you. Never experienced anything like that and hope I never do. One time I lost my freezer, woodturning lathe and my shop a/c. Eventually it turned out ok, but took some time. Hang in there.

SlabPappi
12-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Well At Least It Didn't Get The Really Important Stuff Like You DEPTHFINDERS!!

Frank Cecil
12-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Sorry to hear that. Hope they get to you real soon

Cane Pole
12-05-2012, 10:27 AM
That just sucks.

jaxsprat
12-05-2012, 12:25 PM
That really fries the electronics,sure sounds lie one big pain in the arst...bout 5 years ago had lightning hit my comcast(Tv) feed line at a pole it took out the comcast channel box, a vcr, & 10 year Tv. all very minor to what u got.....On my computer both power cord and internet line are plugged into a backup battery power supply so they were not affected.

skeetbum
12-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Got hit 3 yrs ago. Sorry to hear about it. Lost a bunch of stuff too, A/C was worst, it was HOT!!

skiptomylu
12-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Every thing that got hit was hooked up to surge protectors And the Internet stuff was hooked up to battery back up with built in surge protection and it still got it!

At least tomorrow we get the AC, TV's, Internet all fixed! I was on the phone from when it happened about 3PM until almost 9PM, but got it all going my direction!

Thank guys!

rnvinc
12-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Dang Skip....you have an "electronic pet door"...??

You never cease to amaze me...:)

Rickie

skiptomylu
12-05-2012, 09:07 PM
I do, one of my dogs is a little freak and during a storm one time the flap on a normal dog door hit him in his rear and he wouldn't use it any longer. He has a lot of other stupid things he will not do also though. So I got this door and the dogs have a box on their collar that puts out a radio signal that opens the door when they get close. We had to have a way for them to let their self out when need be, LOL!

yankee doodler
12-06-2012, 07:22 AM
More of an after tho't Skip, but most of the time the part of the electronics that takes the hit is the power supplies. If some of your stuff uses the ac/dc converters that plug in, you might get off cheaper by checking them out first...on the other hand if insurance is gonna foot the bill then not a worry I guess.

skiptomylu
12-06-2012, 09:27 AM
More of an after tho't Skip, but most of the time the part of the electronics that takes the hit is the power supplies. If some of your stuff uses the ac/dc converters that plug in, you might get off cheaper by checking them out first...on the other hand if insurance is gonna foot the bill then not a worry I guess.

That is a great thought especially on that pet door! Thanksbud Dave lives here, LOL! Really!

zrdc28
12-06-2012, 10:12 PM
I have been through this before and it is tough, be sure and take plenty of time to check everything out before you settle. A year after mine I was still finding stuff that had problems
with electronics that probably came from that strike. Another good suggestion would be to get your power company to check and make sure that you have a really good ground.

chucktx
12-06-2012, 10:23 PM
No Don G, thankfully boat was in carport and not plugged in and humminbird was not on the boat and just sitting inside the house.

yes totally sucks and everything is working to get here, but the darn Hughes people can't even tell me when someone can come until later today. Takes them 24 hours to just get it in the system. Directv will be here tmorrow morning. Cisco/Linksys is sending new Router via UPS. The pet door is big thing too and not sure what we have to do about it yet!

Thanks guys!

just one of MANY reasons i got rid of my hughes net and switched to vorizion.........never been happier!!!

Crappie Reaper
12-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Did you have one of the pet doors that monitors and senses the animal? Those are pricey! I had to opt for one that'll let the skunks in too.
I guess the most important thing is that no one got hurt. A bath or shower at the time of the strike could have been horrible. Glad you're alright!