Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What "precautions" do you take before heading-out?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What "precautions" do you take before heading-out?

Almost posted this on bumpaws thread, but didn't want to run it off-topic. However it does closely relate. Post-up some of your pre-trip "rituals".

What got me to this was his post on the wind kicking-up. I generally follow the weather, including extended forecasts. Temps, chance of rain, and wind all play roles in how I dress, including rain gear, and just how high the winds are expected to be. Depending on the waters, it (winds) may very-well be the determining-factor in even going-out. Extended forecasts (and we all know how accurate they are) help plan the following days, if I can fish, or if it's gonna be one of those days to stay-in, do my nails, and watch Fried Green Tomatoes

Something I've also given consideration to (in light of recent events) is gear loss prevention. I was fortunate, and lost little, but could have added $50+ with the loss of a couple rods (which somehow stayed in the tubes). Granted the water you're fishing, and stability of your Kayak would be a factor.

Anything can happen, but I feel some waters deserve extra caution. I doubt I'd fish Reelfoot again when there weren't other boats on the water, that may apply to others as well. Before I'd ever hit the water for the 1st time, I'd clipped an LED flashlight and a whistle to my vest.

What are some of yours, or others you could pass along?
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

On the sides of my armrests, I attach a snap, paracord and several items that will be easily accessed. Hook sharpener, forceps w/sissors, temp gauge & whistle,
    very small first aid kit, fillet knife in holster for cutting off in the event I need quick escape, drag chain ready for deployment, wire cutter for quick hook removal, digital scale & tape, sharpie, small bag of paracord w/waterproof matches included, dry bag with change of clothing including socks and a roll of paper towels. Umbrella in hatch, pool noodle in different lengths for waving down passing boats if necessary and for added floatation. Alcohol glass wipes for two reasons....glasses and fire starting. Yep, LED flashlight plus wind up battery radio. Frog Toggs. Two extra dry bags for whatever reason. Small machete. Couple boxes rat shot. Head lamp. Reel-lite. Small dip net. Total weight @ 6 lbs. PFD is always first thing on and last thing off. Never was a boy scout, but learned to stay ready so I wouldn't have to get ready. USN. "What did I forget" is always in the back of my mind while on the way to the water. Oh, I didn't forget the drinking water & snacks.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

I have been kayaking for close to 20 years and have turtled only once, but my time in the "green room" was very helpful and informative. It finally happend this year and it happend so fast, I couldn't believe it. I now believe it's not a matter of if, but when.............. The list you made is a good one and a great placd to start. Up until this summer, my kayak time was spent mainly in the ocean, so the chance of recovering non-floating items was slim. First of all, my best recommendation is to wear a PFD and make sure you can re-enter your kayak after a mishap.My experience was/is that practice conditions are not likely to be real world conditions. While you may be a good swimmer, there is something quite unsettling about being upended. A PFD can be hot and uncomfoprtable at times, but I'd much rather have it on when needed than trying to put it on while attempting to hold on to my yak, rod, paddle............you get the picture. I strongly recommend having your rods, crate, and anything of value tied down or secured with bungee cords. I do not use a rod lease on the on the rod I am fishing, it can get in the way, but it did cost me an expensive rig..............I had only enough hands to hold my yak and paddle, and turning my yak back over was much harder than what I had practiced in calm water. I have a process for launching/beaching that is the same everytime I go out. I used to use a checklist like a pilot would use for preflight check, but having done it so many times now, it has become automatic and is always the same. I start at the bow and finish at the stern. Yes, it is easy to forget to put the drain plug back in! Even though I use a SOT, I keep a hand pump and sponge in the storage compartment. I carry a pelican box with a small first aid kit, spare line nippers, 550 cord, knife, flashlight, signal mirror, some duct tape, side cutters ( emergency hook removal), emergency blanket, and flares. Might be overkill for most freshwater fishing trips, but it's on my boat. There is also a spare paddle, towel, hand held radio, and more suntan lotion. In addition, there is always a dry bag that includes a fleece, gloves, hat, and a change of clothes in the forward hatch. Nothing worse than being wet and cold! PFD has a knife, flashilight, TP in a plastic bag, line cutters, whistle, and sun screen. All of this stuff doesn't take up a lot of room and doesn't weigh much. Might seem like a lot, but these items are in small storage bags, are easy to stow, and most of them have been used at one time on another over the years. A change of clothes in the truck isn't a bad idea either. Finally, I always let my bride know where I intend to fish and when I plan to return. Hope this gives some food for thought.

Post Thanks / Like

And another thing......................NEVER let go of your yak if you turtle. It might be a major temptation to turn it loose to retrieve a paddle, or rod, or whatever. However, wind and current can take it from your reach in the blink of an eye.

Post Thanks / Like

For lake fishing, I keep it simple. I let someone know where I am going and a general idea of when I plan to come back. I use the bathroom before getting in the kayak or at least try to. I put my pfd on before getting near the water. I carry a whistle on the vest. I carry a solid colored pelican box (clear ones will eventually break) with a small first aid kit with firestarter and in some areas a cell phone. I carry two dry bags, one with spare set of clothing (including wool socks and hat). One for clothing for the day to layer on and off through out the day. Plenty of food and liquid.

For fishing rivers, I add throw rope and knife and take a more advanced rather than basic first aid kit.

In 25 years of fishing from canoes and kayaks, I have only lost two rods. One that ferrule gave way and the front half rocketed off on a cast. The other snagged a low tree while floating a river, in which case I was glad I don't use tethers on any of my above deck gear. My paddles float, and always float at about the same rate I do, so no issue ever there.

I also suggest one practice reboarding their kayak from deep and shallow water, it is a skill that too often gets overlooked.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I study the weather hard especially the wind speed and direction. The other day I gave my son-in-law a choice and he opted for seeing new territory which let my first choice slide. If you fish lakes then it's expected to have things go unplanned. Weather forecasts are good but not perfect.

I carry the dry bag with clothes, TP, light, butane cig liter etc. I have a short collapsible paddle too just in case my main one gets away. Don't tether the main one but might should.

I've flipped on purpose about 3 times in deep water just to see what getting it upright and re-entry was like. After the first time I got an inflatable paddle float to put on the end to make an outrigger for easier re-entry. My upper body strength is not that great although I got back in twice without the float in a calm warm water trial. Cold water and waves is an all together different ball game.

I've fished alone 95% of the time. Alone commercially 1972 thru 2005 at least 5 days a week, and now 2 years in the yak. It's good to let someone know where you launch in case you survive, and nice for the search party if you don't.

The biggest preparation we can make is to be ready in case it's our last trip. Whoa that sounds deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't there a way, or maybe a post where I'd read of a method to "right" a Kayak (in deep water) with a length of rope? I believe it's attached to one side, and while the hull is towards the sky the rope (with a loop for a foot to fit into) is thrown across the hull, and you can step in the loop from the opposite side, and use your body weight on the rope to help flip the Kayak back-over?

Maybe I read it on a Kayaking Forum a while back while just looking around
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Righting the kayak is no problem, climbing back in can be a problem for some. I can't see a rope being needed for most kayaks, however I can see how someone might find it easier to have a rope to help pull themselves back in. That said, good technique trumps using an aid device IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I watch the weather forecast for what its worth (?), the winds can kick up here even tho they say calm winds for the day. Breezes get pushed thru the narrow channels and speed up, then the wind breaks off into the coves where I hide. I tell the wife where I'll be putting in at and the general area where I will fish as well. I seldom go far from the launch point, maybe a 10-20 minute easy paddle in terms of distance, as I've got several launch points for different areas I fish. I also text or call her when I'm done fishing so she'll know I safe/ok and will be home in a while. I dress according to the weather forecast, layering so I can adjust for the temps, and take some extra clothes to be on the safe side. I have a dry change of clothes in the truck, usually don't carry 'em with me since I stay fairly close to the truck. I put my pfd on before my feet get wet and don't take it off until I start to load up for home. I found one that is very comfy for me, so I wear it 100% of the time while on the water, even during the summer months, but I don't fish after noon due to the heat. I go early and leave early so to speak. This time of year I go later and fish later after the temps have come up some.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

i ve never been in a yak untill august, after the first 30 minutes i feel like i would have to dump it on purpose. i know i am wrong and it might be because of the type of boat i bought(future beach trophy) is made for stability. i guess i need to read more dumping stories so i can take it more serious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast