Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: mulch barrel For worms ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default mulch barrel For worms ?

Had a stray thought while thumbing through a TS catalouge . Could you use a spinning mulch barrel to raise worms in ? If you turned the barrel once or twice a week it should keep the organics and moisture well mixed . Any thoughts ?

Post Thanks / Like

It may if you can keep it moist and cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Once that mulch starts to break down it will really heats up and could cook the worms. Mulch barrels are designed to absorb the heat from the sun and contain it in barrel. A good mulch will also make heat as it breaks down-like a good stew it ain't good til its cooked for a while. The center of my mulch piles would be very warm almost hot to the touch, on a cool day you would see vapors rising as I turned the piles. After the mulch broke down into black gold earth and cooled it would attract nitecrawlers.....
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

May I add this to my post above, looked in some garden notes, it seems I always waited for my recycle scrap veggie & dirt products piles to reach 120 to 140 degrees before I would turn the pile over to aerate it.. Believe worms will be recycled also in ash.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't considered the heat .

Post Thanks / Like

just thinking outside the box so to speak what if you started with what ever bedding you wanted to use that wouldn't make heat and keep the rig under cover you could add some food and give it a spin . .
    i mean if the soil being used was already lets say decomposed so as not working ( makeing heat ) would that work or will it still have the same affect.

sorry if i'm going in the wrong direction ,

scott
    Life comes at you fast ... Better have a net...

Scott Beitzel----Western maryland

Post Thanks / Like

That's kinda what I had in mind to start . How about just a rich topsoil mix and feed a little scrap now and then . By mixing it would keep the soil loose and be easy to pick worms . Should keep it from getting too wet .. It just seemed to me that keeping it mixed up would solve the problems of different layers of '' stuff''