Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Cell Phone help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Verizon Cell Phone help

I don't have one currently I'm having issues with, I'm wanting to get one. I have a Pre-Pay Trac Phone, but just doesn't get a signal much of the time here in MS (and this isn't the only time it hasn't). I use a Verizon Air Card in my Computer for internet access, and am happy with their coverage. I use an external antenna on my Air Card (which stays in a Wireless Router, not the Laptop), and don't want a hotspot to take the place of that, as I'm afraid the antenna helps the signal at times. However, I might try it and see how well it worked, and if it did as well (or better) than the Air Card, I wouldn't be opposed to dropping it (well out of satisfying the contract on it) as I'm sure it would be cheaper.

I know "jack" about the new type phones, and am looking for suggestions. Honestly, I'd like to get one free with a 2 year Contract, and one I could connect my Laptop to, in the event I was happy with it and could ditch the Air Card (and save $60/mo). I need to keep some type of communication line with family open in event of emergency. I'm asking here 1st (as opposed to Customer Service at Verizon) to try and get an idea of what might be most cost effective.

I have a 5G limit on my Air Card (which I've never come close to exceeding), and while I somewhat limit my calls (and have never sent a text), I would use it more (calls) if it were cheaper than the Pre-Pay.

I'd like to make calls naturally, be able to try-out the connection of my laptop for internet (which I'm guessing what is meant by "hotspot"), and have a camera (which I imagine they all do now a days) with a Data Limit I wouldn't worry about exceeding (somewhere in the neighborhood of the 5G I have now) with a fair bit of talk time.

Anyone familiar with, or maybe just got something relating to all this babble which might help? Now, for all you "Techies"......English please

Thanks!
    Brian
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

just read an article on cell phone bills for less than $50, check out nbcnews.com, might give you an idea. One guy has a smartphone for $50/month using straighttalk via walmart, don't think the smartphone was the latest/greatest but unlimited text/voice and data for $50/month is hard to beat with a stick.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    just read an article on cell phone bills for less than $50, check out nbcnews.com, might give you an idea. One guy has a smartphone for $50/month using straighttalk via walmart, don't think the smartphone was the latest/greatest but unlimited text/voice and data for $50/month is hard to beat with a stick.
    You know, I'm sort of disappointed in you jimp. I was on the Main Forum Page, saw you were the last reply, and totally expected some kind of "Waterproof" remark.

Angry Kitty put the fear in 'ya, didn't he
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the link to the article jimp mentioned:

A smartphone bill under $50? Red Tape readers reveal their cell secrets - Red Tape

Just read it, and I think I'll stick to just wanting a "phone". That said, I still want to get it through Verizon, as I've had the best luck with them, and talking to many locals, it's generally what they have too.

I'll just leave my internet connection alone, no complaints on it, and in 3 years have only been unable to connect once.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

ask WB or go to IS house fer dinner and ask
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda talked myself out of one of them "bells and whistles" phones billbob, I probably wouldn't figure-out how to work it anyways. I'll just stick to a "2 cans and a string" phone as long as it's through Verizon. I generally like to keep things simple, no sense in changing now.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Verizon prepay phone. $.25 a minute coming or going. I buy my minutes in $100.00 increments, which are good for 1 year. Most times I can get close to a years use for $100. I don't chat on my cell phone, I make the call and hang up. Never had a problem so far with not being in a an area with no service.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    I have a Verizon prepay phone. $.25 a minute coming or going. I buy my minutes in $100.00 increments, which are good for 1 year. Most times I can get close to a years use for $100. I don't chat on my cell phone, I make the call and hang up. Never had a problem so far with not being in a an area with no service.
    Dang my TracPhone is only 10 cents/minute (that's counting I get double minutes, was included on my $10 phone). I hear ya' on the signal, why I want to go Verizon.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

WB gets to stay at IS house
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Neon, is the Tracfone a CDMA or GSA unit? Tracfone uses the big carriers network. If you stick with a Tracfone CDMA unit you should be able to use it in IN and Miss on Verizon's network since they are mainly CDMA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast