Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappies look out!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappies look out!

Crappies
    Look out
    !

Here is an article that you might consider posting on your forum articles page. Up to the moderators if you think it worthy enough.

Name:  C COM SIGNATURE.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  53.2 KB Black crappie is abundantly stocked in many lower elevation, "urban" reservoirs, lakes, and ponds across the state however most of these do not sufficiently freeze over during the winter. They are easy enough to catch in the winter if you do have the opportunity. They will hit micro jigs and small spoons tipped with wax worms or meal worms. Best colors are black or white. They will usually be around 10 to 15 feet deep near structure like docks or wind breaks. Crappies have a soft, fleshy mouth, and they are frequently referred to as "paper mouths." Because of the soft membrane near the jaw, anglers should be very careful when setting the hook and handling crappie. Setting the hook with too much force will only tear the mouth and result in lost fish.

Water temperature is a factor in catching crappie. You can catch crappie in cold water. They bite better as the water temperature approaches sixty degrees. Early season crappie can be found not to far from their spawning grounds. Find a large flat with brush and/or trees then look for a drop-off nearby. More then likely this is where they will be. If the crappie is in shallow water it may be better to make long cast to the crappie rather then setting on top of them. They can get lockjaw from boat noise and other noises. A change in weather (barometric pressure) change in the water level in the lake or a change in water temperature will cause crappies to hold tight to cover.

This is when you have to set on top of them and fish vertically. If they are too shallow to put the boat on top of them, try using a slip bobber to fish vertically over them. Use a 1/32nd -ounce mini jig with a one-inch single tail grub works great. Remember that crappie like to feed on bait that is in front of them or a bit above them. That is why they will hit a jig on the fall rather then picking it up off the bottom like a bass. The lighter test line you can get away with the more crappie you will catch. Try using four to six pound clear line and you’ll catch more. Do not forget about live bait. A live minnow under the bobber is good enough to make them attack.

The trick to using a bobber is to make the bobber almost neutral. There are several ways to make a bobber neutral. Another way would be to use a split shot about 12 inches above the bait. The idea is to create no resistance when the crappie takes the bait and pulls the bobber underwater. Use your sonar to locate crappie. If you find them suspended at 15 feet, then set your bobber to stop at 7 feet. That away the bait will be just above them. Crappies like to hang out in-groups. Use an electric motor to navigate the boat. Using a gas engine may spook the crappie and scatter them out making it harder to fish for them. If you are only catching small crappie, try lowering your bait a little deeper. Use a marker to mark the spot where you caught the first crappie. Crappies will stay in schools so more will be more at that spot.

Many people swear by live bait only, but I use jigs unless I am anchored and still fishing in one place. A jig is quicker since you don't have to change it after catching a fish, and it doesn't die. My soft plastic lure of choice has been In fairly clear water, the smaller the jig the better. A white or yellow hair jig seems to work best. My favorite is the red head, green body and yellow tail version. It is a little more bulky in the stained water and easier for the crappie to find. In the dingiest water, a chartreuse jig with a red head has worked best. My favorite soft plastic baits to use are the YUM F2 Ferocity in a two inch size or I will use my own little quirt in a one and a half inch size.Name:  littlesquirts-1.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  28.1 KB

I prefer jigs for Crappie or Bluegills over live baits which must be kept alive; however, live baits do have their place. Jigs are so versatile and can be brought to life by slow drifting, trolling, casting, dragging, pitching, vertical jigged and the great Float-n-Fly (fished under a small bobber) method. Environmental conditions vary widely from one lake to the next. The most productive season for crappie fishing is during spring when fish movements are related to spawning. This will normally occur sometime in May when the water temperature ranges from 58 to 68 degrees F. Locating fish during the pre-spawn/spawn period will produce excellent stringers of fish.

During early spring, crappies move into shallow water areas where the water temperature is rising rapidly. When the water temperature is right, males move into the shallows near spawning sites and build bowl-shaped nests over gravel, sand, or even muck substrates. Spawning takes place near the base of vegetation stands, so look carefully for emerging vegetation. Although both males and females can be caught, males frequently dominate catches. They are extremely aggressive at spawning time and will often strike at bait in an attempt to defend their nest.

Look for spring crappie near inlets, adjoining marshes, canals and marinas. Spawning crappie is generally found in coves or near the dam. In large reservoirs springtime crappie frequently congregate close to submerged structure. The water flowing into these warms faster than the deep water and attracts crappies that are searching for spawning sites. Springtime crappies will also concentrate in the tail waters below the dam. I caught these nice ones at Lake Purdy in Alabama.Name:  Lake Purdy Feb 25th.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  42.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post!!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
    Izaak Walton, 1653

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for info,great post.
    CRAPPIE fishing is not a sport, its a way of life!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post Ship. I can tell you're hating that new boat.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Luvfatslabs is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great article, should be a sticky
    Good luck and good fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Good article, some of us need all the help we can get.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Ship!!!!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Ship

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks great info have printed it out and will have it to ref to...
    Just looking for 2 more to have dinner!!!!!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Ship.......send Slab a PM and point your post out to him.......he is the only one that can publish a article to the Home page....moderators cannot do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast