Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tips?

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips?

I'm always looking for ways to improve the quality of my pictures & would love to hear any tips or tricks--especially tips for on-the-water photography.

It's more of a mistake than a tip or trick, but one lesson I continue to learn the hard way is to keep the sun behind me. When the bite is on and my partner has landed a really nice fish, the natural tendency is to grab a quick picture and get back to fishing. As likely as not, the boat is positioned the wrong way for a good photo and I'll get something like this:

By taking the few seconds necessary to fire up the TM and rotate the boat, I get the subject out of the deep shadows and a better photo like this:

Post Thanks / Like

Corker

A UV filter will make your colors pop, and a polarizing filter will let you get some fantastic shots through water on glassy days... great for bed and structure shots holding fish.

Cheers
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corker View Post
    I'm always looking for ways to improve the quality of my pictures & would love to hear any tips or tricks--especially tips for on-the-water photography.

It's more of a mistake than a tip or trick, but one lesson I continue to learn the hard way is to keep the sun behind me. When the bite is on and my partner has landed a really nice fish, the natural tendency is to grab a quick picture and get back to fishing. As likely as not, the boat is positioned the wrong way for a good photo and I'll get something like this:

By taking the few seconds necessary to fire up the TM and rotate the boat, I get the subject out of the deep shadows and a better photo like this:
    Lighting direction is great but if your camera has a ‘fill flash’ feature on it you can shoot the photo facing the sun if needed. This is called different things by different manufacturers so consult the manual or just try the different flash settings to find what works on yours.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

Sensitivity of cameras has improved so much that I've gotten in the habit of forcing my flash to stay off. I'd much rather have natural lighting than the flash, but fill flash might be a good choice. Does the "fill" cause red-eye?

Post Thanks / Like

"Redeye" rarely happens during daylight, as the eye's surfece is acting as a reflector the overall light "washes out" the flash effect on the eye.

Post Thanks / Like

As noted fill flash will solve the problem and if your camera has the "flash exposure comp" option you can turn the power down on the flash to just fill the dark areas and still produce a "natural" looking photo.
    James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: (KJV)

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem with turning them toward the sun is they'll tend to squint.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also get some imaging software that has the capability to "open" shadows and end up with a usable image also.
    Here is an example using your photo. I ran your image thru Adobe Photoshop and "opened" the shadows up a bit to show what can be done.

Before

After
    James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: (KJV)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stickum View Post
    imaging software
    Yeah, I also use a graphic editor, but there's no substitute for good lighting. The editor can only do so much to salvage a poor photo.