Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Got A Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Got A Question

I normally post on the MS topics for the most part but wanting to ask it here.
    What is wrong with filling your freezer with crappie? As long as it is done legally who cares how you catch em. I here all kinda folks looking down their noses cause someone fishes with a yoyo or snags or fishes when a lake is low o just on fire.
    I dont get it, if done legally why should I or anyone else look down on another? Boy thats sportsmanship aint it? I mind my own business while on the water or where ever, dont care how someone else is fishing and if they are outside the law the law will catch em.
    This should be interesting.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I never commented on the other thread but I read the responses and I guess I'm guilty of not thinking that using the yoyo is fishing. For me I enjoy fishing not just catching fish. I think of how the fishing is for me now in colder weather and the fun I'm having catching the crappie on very light equipment and small baits and sometimes detecting that very light strike can be a challenge . So yes I think there is nothing wrong with putting the fish in the freezer I do it and will continue to do so on legal rules, but I think when someone starts a thread on a forum like this one where people make their own jigs and look at their sport as an art and a challenge , then they have to be ready for some strong opinions as to just catching the fish, even if it is legal. For myself I can't imagine waiting all week to get to the lake just to set out yoyo's and come back later and take fish off the hook, come on now where is the fun in that?

Post Thanks / Like

If you're obeying the law, I don't care what you do. I fish for fun, however. "Legal" and "fun" are not the same, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Rules are set to keep people from over harvesting. As long as someone is within the law whatever is good for them is ok with me. I fish with minnows and slip floats about 95% of the time. I love this method and has proven to be effective for me. If tomorrow they say no more minnows I will not like it but have to abide by it. Follow the rules and I dont have a problem with it. I do think that you should be responsible about it and only take what you need. I throw back nearly all fish I catch. Keep only a few every once in awhile. I am only feeding my wife and I and a once a year fish fry at the house. When I can catch 1.5 pound crappie it doesnt take many to make a good meal. Catch and release should be practiced more but that depends on the persons needs. Oh by the way I didnt catch a limit all year. But heard of many being caught and kept.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=deathb4disco;2106156]If you're obeying the law, I don't care what you do. x2
    "i only like to fish when i am by myself or with someone"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rees Guide View Post
    What is wrong with filling your freezer with crappie?
    I'll tell you what's wrong with it. If you fill it with crappie, where are you going to put all the other kinds of fish like flounder, trout, reds, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't fish for food. I fish for the sport of it and the overall outdoor experience, which is why I catch & release most of what I hook into. True, catching you limit every day is quite legal. I don't have anything bad to say about anyone that chooses to do that. I decline from objecting to this, solely because I know that the 1.6 million fishermen out there will NOT be equally as successful every day. That makes the playing field quite level, in my opinion. However, should that change to the point where every fisherman got his limit every day - now that's a different story. I'm sure that, if that were the case, our fisheries would be depleted rather quickly and appropriate countermeasures would have to be implemented.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    I'll tell you what's wrong with it. If you fill it with crappie, where are you going to put all the other kinds of fish like flounder, trout, reds, etc.
    Only eat crappie so I dont have a need for them, plus they are REALLY had to come by up here.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I'll preface by saying anyone I've fished with knows over-harvesting isn't something I'll ever be accused of

But seriously, in agreement with what's already been said. I don't deer hunt, but if I did maybe I'd just have a preference to one particular season/weapon, but that wouldn't be due to having issues with the others, just enjoying the particular style I like in order to maximize my enjoyment of the sport.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

I like crappie fishing, but don't give a rat's patoot how someone else does it, long as it's legal.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast