Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Reel Help

Post Thanks / Like

Question Reel Help

I just bought a 10 ft. crappie pole ul action on ebay. It's not a high end rod but somthing to learn on. I am looking for an inexpensive crappie reel now. Ebay has several right now, Silstar CR-5 Bait cast, Southbend Panfish 19, Uncle Buck Crapie Reel UB 20. Or should I go to BPS or Cabela's and get one. I know I get what I pay for. But I am just learning/teaching myself to jig fish like ya'll go back east, and I am having fun. Any ideas, info, opinion would be appreciated.

Gonefission
    Bill

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't like a bait cast type reel on my long poles. Come to think of it, I don't like them period. Anyway, I did try them and went to all spinning reels. A cheap reel will work fine as long as it has a decent drag.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I like the new wally reels. They aren't expensive and are nice and smooth. WRWEST when you want to get together and hit Lopez. Let me know.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Go out and buy a new Zebco 33 and put it on it. You will have less problems and will like the user friendly reel. I use 33s all of the time for crappie. I occasionally hook into bigger fish than crappie and my 33s usually get them in. I have some old ones and some new ones. I often buy my Zebco 33s with a rod for $5 at yard sales. New ones cost less than $20.
    Some folks like to bad mouth Zebco reels, but they work. Don't buy a Zebco 202 though.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug has a really small Wally Marshall spinning reel on his twelve footer and he's brought in catfish on it. It was pretty inexpensive at BPS. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reel

I have Mitchell Avocet 500 on my Sam Heaton & BnM 10 ft jig poles. Good drag. Will land anything. You can cast a pencil bobber a long ways with it for shallow fishing in the spring. 20 bucks at Wally World. Just do not overfill the spool as with any spinning reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Just my .02 worth, but I would suggest some type of Ultra lite spinning reel. I'm not sure if you will be using it very much for casting, but they are good for jigging & slow trolling. Good luck!!