HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driftmaster Rod holders.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driftmaster Rod holders.

Name:  IMAG0143.jpg
Views: 13947
Size:  28.5 KB

So I am not really happy with the driftmaster 250H I recently purchase and I am thinking about going with a different brand, possibly.

Can anyone tell me if someone makes a spider rigging setup that I can basically take off the rod holders and use them as a trolling rod holder? For instance with the driftmaster lil pro, i can get a different base that holds the same rod holder I use for crappies but use it for trolling for walleye. I could also use the driftmaster rod holder for catfish just by turning it upwords on the T bar.

Im not really happy with the driftmasters for two simple reasons. 1. The rodholders fall forward after a while dunking the tip of the rod in the water and I have to keep playing with it or moving it back up so the tip comes up and 2. Its a pain to remove the T bar after I am done fishing for the day. Screwing that big long bolt that goes through the middle of the post is a pain. Unless I am doing something wrong, I need to get a simpler system.

The picture above is currently how I have it setup.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 12-04-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a set of HiTech with extra base. They slide into base then lock down with bolt.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

X2 on hi-tek the best holders on the market !!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the drift masters and like them. Also, have fished hi teks and like them as well. Someone makes a little wrench for tightening the wing nut on your holders so they will not slip forward. I made one myself out of a piece of conduit with a slit cut in it. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1354598790958.jpg
Views: 2192
Size:  24.4 KB

I tighten mine down enough so they don't slip down and simply grab the bar and push or pull each holder into the position I want it.

Also, I do not remove my racks. I travel with them positioned paralell to the length of the boat, spin them into position when I fish and back to parallel when I'm done. This allows me easy access to enter and exit the bow of the boat.

Hope this helps you work with what you have. If you can't make them work for you, go with the hi teks.

Post Thanks / Like

you should be able to use the driftmasters for just about any type of fishing you want to do, I've used 'em for 2-3 yrs now and like 'me, but I just longline. You could try just removing the crossbar leaving the upright on the boat and see how that works for you. I have the smaller one on the bow of my boat for just two rods while LL, and it works for me. I have one like yours on the back mounted right beside the rear elevated seat. I fish solo 99% of the time so I just removed this seat.

I like the little wrench, where can you get one as I don't have the tools to make one. I've used an adjustable wrench and it works, but like that little wrench.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to grizzly jig, perotti makes that wrench. He said they had them for about $3.

Post Thanks / Like

Hiteks
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi-teks are the way to go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I love me some Hi-Teks for spider rigging but use the Driftmasters for everything else from the console to the stern. There is no reason you should not be able to tighten your fasteners down to where they don't move. I always have a pair on channel locks in the boat for my go-to tool and use them to cinch down the wing nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually thinking about putting a piece of duct tape around where the bracket is to give it something to bite on. The might take away the need to tighten them down with a pair of pliers.

You know, one thing driftmaster could do is put ridges along that T bar so the clamps are not going smooth metal to smooth metal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast