Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spawn habits... North to South

Catch-n Guest

Default Spawn habits... North to South

I grew up in Denton, Tx.
    There I fished creeks and flooded backwaters in the spring for spawning crappies... every tree stump had a next near to the base and all brush piles held "barn-door" adult fish. These fish seemed to be in 3-4 foot of water mostly.
    It is very different "up North" here in MN.
    Crappies will pull into bullrushes and stick-ups along the shore... very shallow.. over emergent weeds! These fish are in 1 1/2 of water at times.

Do any of ya'll see this... where the fish seem to be more shallow for spawn, in Northern climates?
    Hoggie
    Catch-N.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there Hoggie

I have seen this in my area of Minnesota as well, I live just 30min. east of Alexandria, and just 35-40min. west of Brainerd exit 127 on 94 and go north to Browerville on hwy 71 and I'm home.

Minnesota is made of many different types of lakes and rivers, the shallow dishpan lakes seem to have fish that program themselves to the weeds more and since most of these lakes are 30 foot of water or less, like a big bowl, I've seen crappie right next to shore as the ice starts to melt in the spring in 6-8 inches of water, on the lakes that are a bit deeper, (30+ foot of water) the fish tend to hold back under the ice as in begins to melt, 3-6 foot of water in the reeds and along the edges of floating bogs that tend to help raise the temp of the water in the spring for the spawn. Lakes that have a creek or river that flows in on the north side are a sure bet when the snow starts to melt and that warmer water starts to fill the lake, not only dose it bring in the much needed oxygen, but also food as the days start to heat up and bugs start to come out of their winter hide outs. As far as brush piles go, most of our lakes dont have any, its a shame too, I love what the DNR dose for the larger lakes here in Mn. but some of these smaller lakes could use some help, the last time I checked, it was against the law to put anything into the waters of Mn. We need to get that law changed so we could add brush piles and rock piles to some of these otherwise flat bottom bowls. it would be like a oasis in the desert :D
    Kevin K. Winkler
    Ice Team PowerStick
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a46...imfishman2.gif