Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underwater cameras

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Underwater cameras

Are underwater video cameras like this brand useful for warm water fishing, or only ice fishing? Does anyone use one? How does it work & does it help you catch more fish?

Post Thanks / Like

If your equipment is nothing less than high end (expensive) and you want to retrieve it, go for the camera. I'd have to lose my Rolex, aviator glasses
    and diamond necklace at the pawn shop to be able to afford it, but..........that's just me. Nice unit for sure. Stay out of the muddy waters.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My Garmin 3210 has video input capabilities. It is 256 color compatible. I have tried several UWCs (composite video out) and have yet to find something suitable for Ky Lake. Visibility is about 2-3 feet on a clear lake day. I use the Garmin and my daylight viewable Motion Computing (XP) tablet for viewing. No view shade or visor required most times..

I use it for looking under the flotation of my dock and under the boat lift tubes.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I just listed a brand for reference & am curious about this general type of product. Muddy water is an obvious problem for any type of camera, but when conditions are right, can these things actually help you catch fish?

Post Thanks / Like

New touch screen Lowrance will have a optional camera to view on its screen
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corker View Post
    I just listed a brand for reference & am curious about this general type of product. Muddy water is an obvious problem for any type of camera, but when conditions are right, can these things actually help you catch fish?
    I have observed fish underwater at my dock. Bream will swim right up to the camera and smile. Crappie are spooked easily and shy away. A camera on a lead line is a hassle. Not much control. I built an Underwater ROV. It was productive in locating fish, but it was tethered and I could only dive/roam 25 feet with the tether.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat View Post
    New touch screen Lowrance will have a optional camera to view on its screen
    I like this feature. You can use any submersible composite video camera and view out or in the water. Here is the cheap composite camera I have for viewing. I was using the camera here to look at the rooster tail caused by the transducer. With the video, you can drive and see what is happening in real time vs guessing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corker View Post

Am I butting in too much? Let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's all good! I only have a casual interest in u/w cams. If there's an expensive toy & I don't own one, it's my duty to investigate. The lack of response confirms my suspicion that this toy doesn't put many (any?) fish in the cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Underwater cameras

I know this is an older topic but just wanted to say a few things.

I use them extensively during ice season up here but there have been many times when it was a very important tool to have in the boat. Saved me multiple hours of checking docks and brushpiles during a few tournaments and has saved thousands of dollars worth of gear when my boy decided half my rod locker needed to go for a swim in 40 foot of water. Its something that stays in the boat at all times for me.

As far as usability with these cams you get what you pay for more or less. Just like a graph color is a big plus along with.resolution. I highly recommend the marcum 800series.

If Its something you wanna try find a used aqua view they can be had around 100 bucks usually and you can make up your mind from there what you want/need. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast