Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Boat - Make over Ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Jon Boat - Make over Ideas?

I just redone a 1967 12 foot jon boat that was given to me, it was in really bad shape. As of now i only fish smaller bodies of water and rivers. I want to upgrade to a bigger boat but until that time comes this boat will be my baby. So i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to improve my boat to become more efficient. And possibly a way to put a small livewell in it. Any info is appreciated.
    Thank You

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. On the main forum (top right advanced search) type in Jon boat makeovers where it says search forums. Also pm Anchorpuller or CanePole since they did their boats and I used some of their ideas when restoring my Crosby Sled boat.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Tinboat.net is full of great ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the comments so far. i have a few ideas but hope to hear or see something i haven't thought of yet. I heard someone talking about putting a large dia pvc pipe (maybe 6inch dia) with caps on both ends. and run one down each side of the boat almost like a pontoon its said to help stablize the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I made a livewell for my 14 foot jon out of a cooler on wheels "from wal mart" and 2 8 gallon an hour aerators runs on d cells. Kept fish alive for over 8 hours in the summer,

Post Thanks / Like

Ive thought about that id like to convert a cooler to one that will cycle the water. Pump in fresh water until it fills up to the top hose where it will gravity drain back into the lake. I can buy a kit from Bass Pro for $39 or $49. I think this should work, but i will try it on a cheap old cooler first haha cause a nice cooler is pretty pricey.

Name:  COOLER LIVE WELL.jpg
Views: 32678
Size:  15.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I was gonna do the same thing, but a cheap aerator a couple screws and your done. Just screw through the plastic inside the battery compartment on the aerator, then drill a small hose under the lid on the cooler for the airline and your done. Its cheap and very effective, i dont add ice to the thing either just add water then fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. I'll bet that boat is a joy to fish from.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    But don't forget the Roadrunners

Post Thanks / Like

Find a Pool Supply store in your area like Pinch A Penny pool supply and stop in and ask em for a 10 gallon chemical bucket. Ours are glad to get rid of em. Fill with water and let set in sun for a week or so, Change water and repeat, should be free of residuals and ok to use then. Get ya a bilge pump on a long hose to throw in lake or river and a 2" overflow at top with a piece of screen to keep your minners or shad from escaping. Works like a champ.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 5 gallon bucket. When hot, I use a wire mesh basket. I have a built in livewell that executes fish. Alumacraft Crappie Jon.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast