Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here have any experience with War Eagle boats????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone here have any experience with War Eagle boats????

My boys are getting to the age where they are wanting to fish out of a boat. I have priced a couple of boats(primarily weldbilt and war eagle) and I think I may be interested in a war eagle 542 ldv. It is a low front deck boat with a trailer and a factory floor. I will likely not put a outboard on it for now and will mostly use a trolling motor in our farm pond and also at some of the local wma lakes(around 100acres). I was wondering what impressions a low deck would be for someone that is going to fish with boys(5-6 years old)and if there is anything else I should try to consider? I will most likely be fishing live bait for a while until they get a little older(bream/crappie) and then hopefully in a couple of years I can get them hooked on bass fishing. Initially I will probably put a bow mount trolling motor on it(don't know about foot vs hand operated) and a battery. I'll probably end up putting some sort of an outboard on it by next spring. I was surprised that the weldbilt wasn't much less with the factory floor so I thought maybe this time I would try something a little different. I've always heard about the high quality of war eagle and thought maybe this time I would give it a try. Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. thanks.

-lee-

Post Thanks / Like

I like War Eagle boats. I have two 1542's.

I fish alot of small water other wise I would prefer one a little wider. The 1542 is stable enough to walk around in, but with two people casting from the platform seats, it sometimes gets a little annoying with the rocking. Again, there is no problem with stability, just aggravating with "lunge" casters!

If you can afford it, have the vinyl skin put on the boat. It's cooler, quieter and cleans easier.

The MinnKota 44 AT pushes it nicely.

One warning: War eagle is REAL proud of their patented accessories, like anything that attaches to the t-rail. You can always drill anchor posts or lights, but if you T-rail it, it will cost!

On the plus side, the rail system provides a very easy place to hide all the electronics wiring.

Since nobody makes the perferct crappie boat, I still choose War eagle.

Titleman

Post Thanks / Like

Lee I have 2 war-Eagles a 2072 LDSV and a 754 both have the 15 degree hulls.
    If it were me I would not look at anything less then the 48" bottom if your going to have kids in there. As it will not move as much as the 42" bottom.
    Also the 548 has a 8 degree hull. About the same as a flat bottom but will ride better on a chop.
    I like the low deck and its nice for crappie fishing.
    I bought my 17ft war-eagle it had the diamond plate floor and It was a 2004 got it for $2300. Without a trailer. So look around and you can find some deals if there a Left over boat.

Also I do like WAr-eagle boats. but have you though about a Sea-Ark?
    Any other questions I can help you with let me know.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

shiloh red.......I see you are near pickwick. We have a place up in the back of Bear Creek on the Al. side. I was mainly looking at the 542 because I need something fairly lightweight to launch by myself at our farm and to use at the local wma lakes. I may use it a little at pickwick in bear creek but primarily it'll be a small water boat. I didn't really want to go up to a 16' boat because it would add quite a bit of weight to it. If you think I am making a mistake then please let me know but I sold a weldbilt 17x54 with a yammie 50hp 4stroke and to be honest it was too big too heavy and had way too much motor for it IMO. I am looking for something smaller/easier to handle. SOmething that I can manuever easily by myself when moving around on a trailer in the garage and also have something that I can carry one or two of the boys to fish some. What exactly does the vinyl flooring option do? I had rhino liner in my last boat and it did a good job of cooling it off but it added too much weight. Sorry for all the questions but just want to make sure I make an informed decision.

Post Thanks / Like

The 548 is the same length as the 542 but weights within 60 lbs of each other. I was just thinking the extra 6" in the bottom may help out with the kids.
    You know a 5 hp or 10 hp would work there until the wind got up and started blowing down bear.

I have never fished Bear for crappie. but just may try it a few times this year.
    Used to run from The dam to there for bass years ago.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
    shiloh red.......I see you are near pickwick. We have a place up in the back of Bear Creek on the Al. side. I was mainly looking at the 542 because I need something fairly lightweight to launch by myself at our farm and to use at the local wma lakes. I may use it a little at pickwick in bear creek but primarily it'll be a small water boat. I didn't really want to go up to a 16' boat because it would add quite a bit of weight to it. If you think I am making a mistake then please let me know but I sold a weldbilt 17x54 with a yammie 50hp 4stroke and to be honest it was too big too heavy and had way too much motor for it IMO. I am looking for something smaller/easier to handle. SOmething that I can manuever easily by myself when moving around on a trailer in the garage and also have something that I can carry one or two of the boys to fish some. What exactly does the vinyl flooring option do? I had rhino liner in my last boat and it did a good job of cooling it off but it added too much weight. Sorry for all the questions but just want to make sure I make an informed decision.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I will most likely be fishing live bait for a while until they get a little older(bream/crappie) and then hopefully in a couple of years I can get them hooked on bass fishing.

poor kids green carp

that is like saying maybe I can get them hooked on crack later.....
    Last edited by FalconSmitty; 07-05-2006 at 11:20 PM.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Excel

If you are looking at a War Eagle, Weldbilt, Sea Ark or other jon boat coming out of Arkansas then I highly suggest you look into Excel boats. Tim Scott used to be a builder for Xpress and left to start his own venture, Excel boats. I have their 1760DB and it's incredibly nice. The fit and finish on these boats is second to none. They build each boat - one weld at a time - so you get a custom boat at VERY competitive prices (a lot less than War Eagle).

Do yourself a favor and call Tim @ 501.745.6790

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Legend Craft

Hey look at Legend Craft Boats , they are all welded. I am good friends with the owner and personally know they stand behind their boats.
    web site '' www.legendcraft.com ''
    owner's phone # for a local dealer 1-501-316-4409
    Don Sowell is a good fishing buddy and has a small boat company. They can build a boat to suit your needs. Their plant is in central Arkansas. What ever brand you get stay with an all welded boat.
    Good luck and happy fishing .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

You will never catch me riding in a war eagle boat.

ROLL TIDE!!!!!! :D

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetHomeAlabama
    You will never catch me riding in a war eagle boat.

ROLL TIDE!!!!!! :D

:D now ain't that purrrtee

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast