Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Back in the 'Terrestrial' Office...

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Back in the 'Terrestrial' Office...

I finished up my fall test netting on November 15th after sampling 3 SFLs, 2 Federal Reservoirs, and 2 city lakes. Spent last week cleaning and drying nets and putting them away for the winter. This week will consist of data entry and compilation of fish stocking requests for 2013 so the hatcheries will know what they need plan on producing. Miss being in the boat, but when it's 19F in the morning the warm office chair doesn't seem to be too bad of a place to be!

Tight Lines!

Craig

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the work and nice to see a report

Post Thanks / Like

Keep up the good work!! Everyone appreciates what you do!!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
    Izaak Walton, 1653

Post Thanks / Like

Working inside does have it perks, but would be nice to switch back and forth like you do.

Any good stories from your samplings on the lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy that warm chair......for awhile....look foward to your reports.
    FAITH, FAMILY, FRIENDS & FISHING...... hopefully in that order but honestly, not always!

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingtim View Post
    Any good stories from your samplings on the lake?
    Tim,

It is always interesting to see the changes in a lake from year to year. Council Grove was VERY clear this year compared to its normally muddy self and for a minute I thought I was at Melvern. Between the drought and the filtering effects of the zebra mussels the lake was very clear this fall. Hopefully we don't see a large decline in the shad like we did at El Dorado.

Saw some great fish and great fish populations this year. I'm anxious to see how the numbers compare once I get all the data entered. Looks like we will have some good fishing in 2013 provided we get some RAINFALL one of these days to keep the lakes from going dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Johnson View Post
    Hopefully we don't see a large decline in the shad like we did at El Dorado.
    I've been trying to do my part and removing mouths from the lake that have been eating the shad so there more shad to go around.

Seriously... Is the shad population being replaced by a growing white perch population?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingtim View Post
    ...Seriously... Is the shad population being replaced by a growing white perch population?
    Tim,

I don't currently have any data showing that the white perch are displacing the shad, but it is still early in the game. We do know, however, that white perch feed heavily upon larval and small gizzard shad which would provide additional competition to the more desirable sportfish which isn't a good thing especially in years where shad production is less very good. I'm looking forward to checking out my 2012 El Dorado data more closely in the coming weeks.