Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a 1991 Lowe 170.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions on a 1991 Lowe 170.

Got my eye on a no-engine good looking boat mentioned above. $2600. Basic electronics, new trolling motor, new livewell/bilge pumps.

Anyone have/had one they liked?

I've also got my eye on a 2003 50 hp Yammie to power it... $3200.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

For 5800 you can get a 18 foot Ranger and have alot more boat. Nothin wrong with the LOWE tho, just been surprised haw cheap you can pick up a nice glass boat.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The Lowe 170 is a very good boat.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
    Got my eye on a no-engine good looking boat mentioned above. $2600. Basic electronics, new trolling motor, new livewell/bilge pumps.

Anyone have/had one they liked?

I've also got my eye on a 2003 50 hp Yammie to power it... $3200.
    I assume the Lowe you are looking at is aluminum....my mechanic said the Yamaha (even the older ones) just don't break down.....very dependable.....the question is, what size motor to put on the 170.....the 50 may push it around 30 mph with one person on board......it all boils down to speed and dependability....I have a 19' fiberglass with a 150 (purchased in Warsaw, Mo.)and like to ride around 40 to 45 mph.....I have been looking for a 16' used aluminum boat....I really like the Lowe 16 Stinger....they make the Stinger in 17' also.....from what I have discovered in 4 months of looking is first get a Yamaha......next on a 16' boat get at least a 50 hp.....on a 17' boat get a 70 HP.....just my personal preference for the speed......also, I prefer the 2 stroke over the 4 stroke.....hope this helps.....
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree what the above post says about power, better to have and not need, and it's not working at full capacity to do it's job. If it's a riveted, put the plug in it in the driveway and start to fill it with water to check for leaks. Pulling floors and such to replace and seal leaky rivets kinda takes the love out of a new boat pretty quick. Also look for stress cracks around the edges and corners of the transom.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

got a 06 stinger 175 lowe. love the boat, hate the motor..Broke down now. no more merc's at this house. that boat should serve you well. if i were in your shoes knowing what i know now i would search for the biggest yami that boat is rated for. good luck, go for it. WS
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Lowe 175 Stinger with a two-cycle 70 hp Yamaha. It had welded seams.

Normally I am a big fan of getting the maximum horsepower the boat is rated for.

The seventy did a great job. Two large males could fish comfortably all day.

Plenty of power, dependable, relatively easy on fuel.

Aluminum blows around a little more than glass, but I would not hesitate to recommend one to others...good luck.
    Gadget Man

dkb23 is offline Moderator Illinois Forum and Supermod
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1993 170 Lowe. I use this boat time and time again without problems. Quality boats and would recommend to anyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think $5800 invested in a 1991 boat is too much. I sold a 2005 G3 V170T with an 07 Yamaha 50 four stroke about a year ago for $6000. There's deals around, you have to look for them and be willing to take a ride.

dkb23 is offline Moderator Illinois Forum and Supermod
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    Personally I think $5800 invested in a 1991 boat is too much. I sold a 2005 G3 V170T with an 07 Yamaha 50 four stroke about a year ago for $6000. There's deals around, you have to look for them and be willing to take a ride.
    I agree. Especially this time of year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.:rolleyes:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast