Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trouble with Death Star, looking for suggestions.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trouble with Death Star, looking for suggestions.

I assembled the stars at home and transported them to the lake ( 40 Miles) in the truck. They were secured with bungee cords. I never exceeded 50 MPH transporting the goodies. The limbs were allowed to swing in the breeze. One of the balls came apart (partially) at the equator. The balls are cast in two parts and glued together at the center. I repaired the seperation with JB weld and some stainless steel screws. Not convinced that these things will be able to stand up to the beating at the shoreline (boat dock). I will hope for the best.

Moose brought up another good point. The winter freeze. I may have to pull the stars out of the water during winter unless someone can give me some pointers here. During summer pool, the stars will be totally submerged, but winter pool will expose 75 to 90 percent of the stars. Need help here.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 01-10-2009 at 02:02 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

How long are the 'limbs'? How deep is lake where you are planning to sink? Can you weight down the lower part and make the upper limbs a little shorter so that they will be below surface enough that boat traffic will not hit. Unless lake freezes solid you might have some of the limbs split from freeze but the death star should be below the depth that ice will form. These are just my thoughts. I know on Ky Lake several places where PVC is exposed all year round and does not show signs of damage.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Default How about this?

Maybe try using a couple of stainless steel gear clamps around the "balls" to hold them together. I know you can really clamp those things down good. THe problem might be getting the clamps to fit halfway good enough between the limbs. Just a thought, this might help them to hold together.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "To catch fish, you gotta be on the fish!"

Post Thanks / Like

Another thought,When taking them to the lake by truck wait about installing the limbs until you get there.the glue dry's fast.another, although a little more trouble is to predrill small hole's in the star where the limb's go & install small screw's in them after you install the limb's.>>>>Bentpole

Post Thanks / Like

I used sheet metal screws to secure the limbs on my PVC tree. They are self tapping and cut into the PVC plastic easily. Just don't over tighen them.

JB weld is a miracle glue and works great.

I would either put them in deeper water that won't have the ice geting on them or else bring them out before winter sets in and the ice forms.

I get the funny felling that the area around Cane Poles boat dock is pretty shallow in the winter time. Maybe not more than 5 ft deep? Even ten ft deep may not be deep enought. If I were to invest in those death stars I would put them in deeper water along some drop off that has no other cover. Then I would pray that Pat's sidescanning sonar does not see them. LOL Then you would have a honey hole all to your self. Just make them with GPS and triangulate the spot with four spots on the banks. Two in a row to make one line and two more to make another line that crosses the first line right at the spot. A third line would not hurt either. PVC pipes are hard to see under the water with a depth finder. So it's critical to mark the spot well. I would get some of those KY hydrograpfx digital maps and find some nice drop offs or underwater humps that have some nice drop off along them and put the crappie trees in the deeper water. That way you can use them in the summer and all winter long. Crappie will stay in one area all summer long and all winter long. I guess they move more in the sping.

I would use the wood in the shallow water myself so that the ice does not get to the pvc.

But that is just my way of doing things.

PS I just finished my third Wild Turkey High ball LOL So I won't remember what I said tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bentpole
    Another thought,When taking them to the lake by truck wait about installing the limbs until you get there.the glue dry's fast.another, although a little more trouble is to predrill small hole's in the star where the limb's go & install small screw's in them after you install the limb's.>>>>Bentpole
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I assembled the stars at home and transported them to the lake ( 40 Miles) in the truck. They were secured with bungee cords. I never exceeded 50 MPH transporting the goodies. The limbs were allowed to swing in the breeze. One of the balls came apart (partially) at the equator. The balls are cast in two parts and glued together at the center. I repaired the seperation with JB weld and some stainless steel screws. Not convinced that these things will be able to stand up to the beating at the shoreline (boat dock). I will hope for the best.

Moose brought up another good point. The winter freeze. I may have to pull the stars out of the water during winter unless someone can give me some pointers here. During summer pool, the stars will be totally submerged, but winter pool will expose 75 to 90 percent of the stars. Need help here.
    Maybe you could drill some small holes in the base of the pvc so the water would drain out of the pipes. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Default another suggestion

I once say in on of the crappie mags. of some one using a bucket with concert in it and just arranged the cane pole, brush, pvc poles, etc. however they wanted them then dropped it in. They also should how to make a cube out of the pvc and use it. You might want to try to locate a old subscription to see(Crappie World). Hope this helps.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!