Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: size limits

Post Thanks / Like

Default size limits

What would be the chance of raising the size on truman lake from 9 to 10. Moved here from stockton and there is alot of difference in the size of the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not manage Truman and I will ask Mike Bayless about the population but Truman traditionally is one of our best crappie lakes in the state. One thing I have found in the last ten years is anglers have become much more self-regulating when taking crappie home. In years when crappie have grown well and there are lots of 10 inchers available, anglers will generally throw back 9 inch fish. When growth is slower and the majority of fish are 9 inches anglers will harvest them. This has changed the need for raising the length limit from 9 to 10 in some lakes in my opinion. Truman has lots of big crappie and is generally viewed as a better crappie lake than Stockton. Crappie populations can fluctuate significantly from year to year but I heard nothing but good reports out of Truman. It might just take you a while to get as proficient on Truman as you were on Stockton. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see the minimum limit set at 10 inches on Truman. I must say tho, that is the first post I remember ever seeing that suggests that Stockton crappie are larger than Truman crappie as a whole.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your quick reply. I lived in stockton, since 98 and moved here to warsaw in nov 2011. Fished for walleye from mar. 1st. till opening day firearm deer season and then it crappie time. Was not saying stockton has bigger crappie just that there was a lot of difference between the two sizes. Have caught some nice crappie here though. Just have to figure out the walleye pattern. Only have fished around the shawnee bend area.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the "difference between the two sizes" if you weren't saying one was bigger than the other? I'm not trying to argue with you. Just trying to understand your post better. You'll find better quality fish on the Grand Arm and Osage Arm on Truman. Good luck to you on your quest and welcome to the board.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Good post and welcome. Like the man said, some of us self regulate. My fish measuring cup has a mark at 9.5 and if there isn't plenty of tail fin past that I don't mess with it. Tough days can make it tempting for some, but I've not had a problem staying well stocked in the freezer.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

What I meant was that there was more meat on a 10 inch one. that's all. My measuring boards are also cut to 9 and half. I do not want to step on anyone toes while in the service I guess I stood to close to things that went boom in the night and somtimes just have trouble explaining myself. If you all happen to see a red lund tiller around the shawnee bend area stop by and say hi.

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone here will agree that a crappie really isn't worth taking home until it has 'shoulders', and they don't get big across the back until they are about 10". That's why Jake referred to 'self-regulation'. But there are so many fisherman who want to take fish home no matter what. They take the fish we pass on. The MDC is very pro-active on our reservoirs in regard to balancing fishermen/women demands and keeping a healthy population. The years when there are fewer 10" + fish around usually mean there has been a very good year class previously....during those years, some of us hardly see bigger fish, but you can bet they'll be back!

One reason for that length is that in Mo a 9" fish is sexually mature and able to spawn. What if the length was raised and we had year after year of high recruitment? We may have lakes overrun with 8" crappie.....potato chips!

You haven't stomped any toes that I can tell, but some toes are bigger than others and just can't be missed....keep asking good questions and thank you for your service!

Post Thanks / Like

Had not thought about the over population, and you are right on that. and your welcome

Post Thanks / Like

truman13, welcome. Some fish for consumption, some for sport or a combination of both. I'd like a Truman 12" length limit, could care less if I keep fish or not but know it probably isn't realistic. MDC has many people to please, kinda like herding cats. I may not personally agree with them but wouldn't want their job either. At some time you have to trust people that write the laws. Not that they're infallible, politics has proven that time and time again in the last few years but at this time I'd take MDC's record over most politicians. If they want to run for president I'd vote for em.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast