Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pimp Your Jon Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pimp Your Jon Boat

I used to fish from a float tube and a one person pontoon boat. In the last few years my legs and balance have become so bad that those boats are no longer practical. So now I fish from a 12' jon boat. I have two swivel seats in it that are mounted on rails. That way I can adjust where they sit (starboard to port). The seat on the rear bench I have lifted slightly so I don't have to fish with my legs bent too much, and the seat amidships sits lower so I can still operate the oars without bumping every row stroke into my legs. On the bow, I have a remote anchor lock mounted so I can deploy the anchor from anywhere in the boat. I'm just wondering how many others here fish from a jon boat, and just how you have your boats rigged for convenience. How have your pimped your boats?
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    But don't forget the Roadrunners

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Joe! Post some pics of your boat if you can. If you've not heard of it, check-out the Forum at TinBoats: TinBoats.net • Index page

I've owned a couple Jons, and there's lots of great ideas to be had on their Forum. I've also owned a couple of the 2-man plastic pontoons. I like the smaller boats, they certainly have their place, and are an inexpensive way to get on the water.

Something I always liked was carpeting, it sure makes things lots quieter. Comfortable seating is a must, and depending on your fishing style, I'm sure you could get some ideas to add an inexpensive casting deck and seat up-front, if you had the interest.

You mentioned rowing, do you have, or have plans on a trolling motor?

I fished with a guy at Reelfoot who had a seat mounting track system I'd never seen. The seat swivel bolted to a plate that had a "lip" on the front. There was a track which attached to the front of his bench seat (like a piece of angle with a slot all down it's length in the front), and you held the seat vertical, slipped the lip into the track at any point along the track, so you could set to either side, or centered (or anywhere in between), depending on where you wanted. Was a slick idea, and I was pretty surprised I'd never seen it (but sometimes feel as if I've lived under a rock). I wished I'd have asked him where he got it. Maybe someone else here is familiar with it?
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMoon View Post
    Hey Joe! Post some pics of your boat if you can. If you've not heard of it, check-out the Forum at TinBoats: TinBoats.net • Index page

I've owned a couple Jons, and there's lots of great ideas to be had on their Forum. I've also owned a couple of the 2-man plastic pontoons. I like the smaller boats, they certainly have their place, and are an inexpensive way to get on the water.

Something I always liked was carpeting, it sure makes things lots quieter. Comfortable seating is a must, and depending on your fishing style, I'm sure you could get some ideas to add an inexpensive casting deck and seat up-front, if you had the interest.

You mentioned rowing, do you have, or have plans on a trolling motor?

I fished with a guy at Reelfoot who had a seat mounting track system I'd never seen. The seat swivel bolted to a plate that had a "lip" on the front. There was a track which attached to the front of his bench seat (like a piece of angle with a slot all down it's length in the front), and you held the seat vertical, slipped the lip into the track at any point along the track, so you could set to either side, or centered (or anywhere in between), depending on where you wanted. Was a slick idea, and I was pretty surprised I'd never seen it (but sometimes feel as if I've lived under a rock). I wished I'd have asked him where he got it. Maybe someone else here is familiar with it?
    I do use a 46 pound electric Minn Kota. I'm a big guy, so I ran cables from the rear of my boat, inside of the splash rail, to the port side near the bow. That's where I put my battery. The weight of the battery up front and on the left side of the boat helps a lot to keep the boat on an even keel. Those seat tracks you speak of sound exactly like the ones I have. The seats themselves swivel, and with the track system, I can place them anywhere I want from left to right. They're really slick. I should take some pics of the boat. If I did, what I'm saying would make more sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you get those seat tracks Joe? Or who makes them? I don't have any need for them , just curious.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMoon View Post
    Where did you get those seat tracks Joe? Or who makes them? I don't have any need for them , just curious.
    I don't know who makes them, but I bought them from the Elephant Boys in the Spokane, Washington valley. Here is a link to their website. Give them a call. I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.
    CONTACT

Post Thanks / Like

google G3 sliders, or check out the tinboats.net site, They are a sponsor over there.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I just wanted to know in case I ran across someone who could use, or was looking for some
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Duracraft jon boats used to come with the gooved slot accross the bench seat front. If you got the matching part that your seat mounted to they work exactly as you describe. One of my buddies has an older Duracraft with the seats set up like that. He can take them off or on in a jiffy. At one time you could buy the male and female rails sections from Duracraft to use on any boat. You might check to see if they still sell them.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seat tracks for a Rolling seat.

After a Tornado I got some aluminum Awning struts, some Roller blades, and a "Lazy susan" boat seat and made my own.
    Lo-bucks roling rowing seat.
    It has some really good features. You can roll to either end of the boat, turin in both directions easily. And get a four foot rowing stroke. I don't use a motor at all.
    I'm glad this topic came up as I was going to ask about building a Wood Jon boat with my Rolling seat in it.
    I have some photos.
    Name:  DSCF5076.jpg
Views: 11091
Size:  79.0 KB Name:  Seat Rail drawing (546 x 302).jpg
Views: 8655
Size:  33.5 KB Name:  Inline skate wheels.jpg
Views: 40453
Size:  50.0 KB
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thudpucker View Post
    After a Tornado I got some aluminum Awning struts, some Roller blades, and a "Lazy susan" boat seat and made my own.
    Lo-bucks roling rowing seat.
    It has some really good features. You can roll to either end of the boat, turin in both directions easily. And get a four foot rowing stroke. I don't use a motor at all.
    I'm glad this topic came up as I was going to ask about building a Wood Jon boat with my Rolling seat in it.
    I have some photos.
    Name:  DSCF5076.jpg
Views: 11091
Size:  79.0 KB Name:  Seat Rail drawing (546 x 302).jpg
Views: 8655
Size:  33.5 KB Name:  Inline skate wheels.jpg
Views: 40453
Size:  50.0 KB
    That's a really slick idea. What kind of boat do you have it in? I can see where it would work great in a canoe, but in a jon boat you might be sitting kind of low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast