Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota Woes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn Kota Woes.

On my recent trip to Calling Panther I got to the lake and my relatively new(two years old) Minn Kota 40# foot control motor, would not foot control.

The head would only swivel part way and hang up. It sounded like it had sand in the shaft bearing. The road to the lake was VERY dusty. Could this have been the problem? Or an I looking at something else?

Any help would be much appreciated, as I have had Minn Kotas for a long time and have been very satisfied, but this is my first foot controlled.

john
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

had that happen to my MK...

Had to take the shaft apart from the head unit and there is a small screw that came out.... The MK repair guy told me that this is very common because they evidently didn't lock tite the screw from the factory....

I put thread locker on it and tightened it back up and it has been fine ever since....

Jonboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboat
    had that happen to my MK...

Had to take the shaft apart from the head unit and there is a small screw that came out.... The MK repair guy told me that this is very common because they evidently didn't lock tite the screw from the factory....

I put thread locker on it and tightened it back up and it has been fine ever since....

Jonboat
    This is a common problem with both major brands (MK, MG). I've had to do the same thing to the last couple I've owned. This is also where you can adjust your foot stear settings to your liking to make it more comfortable to troll.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thing happen on my Minn-Kota 28 thrust older (steel shaft) foot control.It would hang up while turning and sounded gritty while turning. Granted it was a lot older than yours but my problem was one of the two bearings on the shaft had came apart.

Parts were pretty cheap and the repair job wasn't that bad.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm going to take it apart Friday night when I get off work.

I'll post the solution, IF I find one, so others may learn.:D

If anyone else looks and has another possible solution..........please post it. Ain't nothing more aggravating than not being able to control the boats........ especially if you hang up as much as I do:p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowdenja
    Thanks for the tips guys! I'm going to take it apart Friday night when I get off work.

I'll post the solution, IF I find one, so others may learn.:D

If anyone else looks and has another possible solution..........please post it. Ain't nothing more aggravating than not being able to control the boats........ especially if you hang up as much as I do:p
    While you have it apart don't forget a dab of grease on those bearings. I always use white lithium because it's water resistant and won't gum up or wear plastic.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Post Thanks / Like

Already have a can ready! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

OK.......... I loosened the collar on the bottom shaft and dropped the bearings out. There were a couple of tiny pieces of plastic lodged in two of the balls. I removed them put some silicone grease on all the bearings and re-assembled the lower bearings, shaft and collar. Everything seems to work MUCH better but I haven't put it back in the water yet.

Thanks for all of the help guys. Maybe I got my rig going again. OH.... I also put a hex-key in the boat tool box so I can work on it in the boat ramp parking lot, and not make a trip all the way home.

Almost bought a 55# Minn-Kota at Academy Saturday. That had one on sale for less than 400 bucks, and it came with a bottomfinder depth finder. I didn't think that was too bad of a deal, but as usual money tight at the monent.

Got to start saving because the 40#er just ain't enough in the river current.

Thanks again!

john

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still using an old steel shaft Minn-Kota 28 Thrust Foot Control. I'm definately going for more power when I am able to upgrade. I move with the trolling motor 100 yds or so inbetween brush piles and it takes way too long now, especially into the wind.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn Kota

That's so unlike a minn kota. Usually a very dependable product.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast