PDA

View Full Version : Storing your Jig / Hook on your Rod

3weight
11-24-2012, 09:00 PM
How do you guys store your hooks/jigs on your rods when youre not fishing? I usually just stick the hook into the foam or cork handle of my rod but was wondering if there is another idea so I can keep my handles in a little better shape.

deathb4disco
11-24-2012, 09:04 PM
I hook mine in the foot of the first guide (the biggest one nearest the reel.) I don't hook it in the guide itself, though.

Cray
11-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Like D4D said foot of guide I also take one more step hook thumb in line from jig to tip rotate rod a couple of times and hook line behind one of the guides. Reduces tangles and keep jig tight to guide.

genec
11-24-2012, 09:25 PM
same as cray,but you can take the long rods and if double hook ,hook one in foot of guide and the other in wife or daughter's elastic bow that you put on handle, just make sure it is one of her small ones or double it ,then grab line in middle and twist rod a few times,

ageless
11-24-2012, 09:35 PM
I buy these zip ties, place around the reel seat

Lonestar Proud
11-24-2012, 10:05 PM
I use the little hook holder or whatever you call it, located right in front of the cork handle on my Pro Angler jiggin poles. If I have a tandem rig tied on, the upper jig hook goes in the loop and I wrap the line for the lower jig around the grip and poke the point of the hook into the cork of the handle. I'll also wrap the line around the eyes a couple of time to help keep it tight.

Cane Pole
11-24-2012, 10:58 PM
That what them cork handles are for.:ThumbsUp Foamy ones too. Mine are a little tattered, but the hook still holds after years of use.

skiptomylu
11-24-2012, 11:30 PM
I bought the little Fuji EZ Keepers for every rod I own and that is a lot of rods when consider crappie and bass. After I got a few I like them so much I keep buying a bunch every time I add any rods. You can even use them with no hook and just a loop on your line. Look them up.

Here is a link, you can use them as shown in pic or flip them down to use on the loop.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=Fuji+EZ+Keepers&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

jimp
11-25-2012, 08:02 AM
I use the hook keeper on the rod or the eye support leg like DB4D does.

shipahoy41
11-25-2012, 08:34 AM
I will push a small paper clip down in to the foam or cork handle where it meets the rod. Instant hook keeper!

yankee doodler
11-25-2012, 11:37 AM
On my long trolling rods w/ double hook sets I use tabbed rubber bands above the handle to hold the bottom hook and it allows me to adjust it so the top hook seats fimly in one of the eyelets. Just loop it around the rod and pull the tab through. The tab keeps it from coming loose and it doesn't impede the line while fishing. I did see Feelay had a pretty nifty way to store when I was out with him in Oct. but I can't explain how to do it. Maybe he can.

Crappie 1
11-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Well, this is going to be different from all the above. I don't leave hooks on my poles. I take them off and put them away. I have had to cut hooks out of a couple friends of mine before. One of them fell and ran a hook right through the bottom of her hand. The other one had to go to the hospital to get it removed. Since then, no more leaving them on. Kids, dogs, etc, all get hooked easy...Just sayi'n..

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
11-25-2012, 04:39 PM
i use the hook keeper on the rod or the eye support leg like db4d does.

x2

SeaRay
11-25-2012, 05:52 PM
I buy these zip ties, place around the reel seat

Ageless, I use zip ties also, but I was using a 2nd one to make a small loop for the hook keeper. Where do you find those with the hole in the tab?? Never seen them before.
SeaRay

Spaceman
11-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Ship...that's a great idea! If my rods don't have a keeper. I have buying the fuji EZ keepers like skiptomylu mentioned earlier.

skiptomylu
11-26-2012, 08:43 AM
the great thing about the Fuji keepers is they ccan hold your hook, but also your line even with no hook. I actually need a few more now and will pick them up soon. There are a lot of good ideas on this thread though and especially the ones for dealing with a double rig and I will get some use out of these.

Thanks all for good tips!

Daily fishin
11-26-2012, 12:47 PM
This is a little out of the box... I take a used medicine/pil container, drop the lure in it and pop the cap on. Reel it up to the end of the rod nice and snug. No hooks exposed to get caught on anything (or anyone). I have a couple of breakdown rods I always keep in my truck (you never know when the time is right). I made a couple of bags that they slip in to keep everything together and the pill container keeps the hook from hooking everything.

Now if I can just keep from getting hooked myself while fishing then I've got something!

NIMROD
11-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Most quaility rods have a wire hook keeper after the eyes towards the handle. Sure don't want anyone messing up foam or cork handles on my rods by sticking hooks in them.:yikesnonono

minnowtime
11-26-2012, 05:00 PM
When using 2 jigs hook both jig together and put loop around reel handle. Hold line your bait is on and turn rod so line goes aronud eyelets. Sometime wrap velcrow strip around both jigs. Works real well.

Cane Pole
11-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Most quaility rods have a wire hook keeper after the eyes towards the handle. Sure don't want anyone messing up foam or cork handles on my rods by sticking hooks in them.:yikesnonono

Been doing it for years. Much safer at high speeds especially with my upright pole holders. It only takes one hook in the jaw coming out from one of those built in hook holders that don't hold.
Tattered pole handles ends has class. Kinda like the patched knee jeans I wear.

Blackhawk19
11-27-2012, 06:14 AM
most quaility rods have a wire hook keeper after the eyes towards the handle. Sure don't want anyone messing up foam or cork handles on my rods by sticking hooks in them.:yikesnonono

x2

rdhammah
11-29-2012, 02:25 AM
if you have a spinning rod, hook the point under th ring that holds the reel. another easy and cheap way is to use a rubber band. wrap and pull one end thru the other. this gives you a loop for the hook.

glasseyes
11-29-2012, 05:34 AM
lot of neat ideas. I also am a bank fisherman and use long rods for my crappie fishing, and all are two pc. rods. So transporting I must take them apart and I found that small strips of velcro work nicely to hold the two sections together, one on each end, and with a small strip of electrical tape on one end of the strip makes it easy to pull off the rod.