Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: sand bass

Post Thanks / Like

Default sand bass

I saw a fishing show a while back and they were catching sandies with some kind of lure with a like fly tied on the back does anyone know what it was. The sandies are really starting to school here in ok any favorite lure for schooling sandies.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Tim ....

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    I saw a fishing show a while back and they were catching sandies with some kind of lure with a like fly tied on the back does anyone know what it was. The sandies are really starting to school here in ok any favorite lure for schooling sandies.
    I've got several:

Plunker & fly ..... surface for jumps
    (White) Silver Buddy 1/4oz .... sub-surface for jumps (or trolling)
    HotnTot w/ marabou jig trailing .... trolling post jumps
    Tandem marabou jigs w/extra weight (if needed) ... slow trolling
    1/16oz Roadrunners .... casting or trolling
    Shadrap (small size) deep diving crankbait .... casting or trolling
    Tiny Torpedo (prop bait) .... surface for jumps

And, just in case you aren't familiar with the term "Plunker & fly" .... that's just a term for a "popper" type topwater bait with a hair jig tied on a trailer line, off the back end of the plug (usually about 12-18 inches). "Plunker" is just a term referring to the "plunk" sound that the popper crankbait makes. Generally, the hooks are removed from the "Plunker". This keeps the trailing line from hanging up in the hooks, during the cast. The "Plunker" makes the sound of "surface activity" (White Bass hitting baitfish), as you work the rig back to the boat with short jerks .... the "fly" (marabou jig) imitates a fleeing/wounded baitfish.
    There are manufactured "plunker" baits .... specifically designed for this setup. Some are hard plastic, quite heavy, & they sink (if not being retrieved) ... others are weighted styrofoam deals (that float) that are shaped like an elongated bell. I just use an old "chugger" topwater Bass plug (w/o hooks) ... even though I have both of the other types. And I use a smaller pound test line for a trailing jig line, than what my main line is ... for instance, if my main line is 10lb test - my jig line is 8,6, or 4lb test. This is so I would only lose the jig, and not the whole rig, should the fish break the line. My jig line size is usually determined by the general size of the fish that are jumping.

There are a lot of other good baits for "the jumps" .... and the size of the fish or the size of the baitfish, usually dictates what size bait is most productive. Baits like the Lisk Lure Polecat or LiL' Skunk - lipless cranks like a Cotton Cordell Spot Minnow - in-line spinners like a Mepps or Rooster Tail - tail spinners like a Little George - and blade baits of various mfg's .... are all subject to being thrashed by a "Sandie". All you have to do is "find'em", and get the bait in front of them :D .......... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'll bite. What's a sand bass? None of my reference books use the term. Another name for Kentucky spotted bass? yellow bass? white bass? or no bass at all, but something else? - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Sand bass is another name for White Bass...........

And the lure could have been a rooster tail in-line spinner. Works wonder on White Bass and Yellow bass.

john
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, thanks. None of the lakes we fish regularly have them. Roostertail is a great lure. We've caught everything from rainbow trout to bluegill on them. Firetiger is our best color. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern